The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

multiple subdomains with multiple sub domains (8 posts)

1. Alltimed
    Posted 15 years ago #

Confuse you with the title? I hope so. My goal is to be able to provide multiple blogs on multiple subdomains. Basically I want the structure to look like this.

blog.subdomain1.domain.com
    blog.subdomain2.domain.com

I tried installing MU Wordpress in the subdomain1.domain.com but the redirects were not working when I added blog.subdomain1.domain.com. Is there any solution via mod-rewrite for this or am I just out of luck?

Thanks!

2. musnake
    Posted 15 years ago #

Using the subdomain not the subdirectory method, I did manage to get a quantum-Mu (Mu of Mu's) install working on WPMu 1.3.1 or was it 1.5? Anyway, a short-lived domain mapping experiment as I was not able to unify the blogs under a single forum instance. Apparently, and this may have changed, if you start domain mapping you lose the ability to use some common function. This was true for my shared environment and may not be true for those that can roll their own...

Now, I recognize that domain mapping is not exactly
    blog.subdomain1.domain.com
    blog.subdomain2.domain.com
    but this is what I was trying to mask...

Good Luck!

3. pumpkinpatch
    Posted 15 years ago #

Quantum MU? First time I am hearing that terminology, but it sounds cool.
    I had one working in 1.5. A quick test on 2.6 failed.
    Also, read this.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Apparently, and this may have changed, if you start domain mapping you lose the ability to use some common function. "

I only found this was true if you used the multi-site manager plugin.

5. musnake
    Posted 15 years ago #

...which I very well may have been doing. If you're collecting raspberries for a delicious pie, you spend a lot of time reaching into the brambles. My tech support people hate pie. No pie for me.

(Without hijacking the thread, forum cookies don't like the domain mapping, yes? I'd order the pie again if there was a way to map multiple domains to the same forum subdomain)

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

(Haven't got that far with multiple domains and one forum.

I do, however, have blueberries. 5 pounds of 'em.)

7. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've got about half a bushel each of blackberries and elderberries. Jelly time this fall. :)

8. musnake
    Posted 15 years ago #

Prefer figs. And sub-communities in sub-forums (FMu? Fme...)

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by Alltimed
  • Latest reply from musnake