The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Editing Theme templates (10 posts)

1. DaveGilbert
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is there a way to edit the theme templates like in normal wordpress blogs, we want to make some minor changes to a template but it seems WP MU doesn't allow this ??

2. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's correct. It's a security risk.

Edit the file, then upload via FTP.

3. DaveGilbert
    Posted 15 years ago #

if it is such a problem why haven't you removed it from normal wordpress blogs without the ability to edit the template it makes MU useless to users who want to include their own company code etc place their own headers.
    I run a search engine and wordpress MU seemed like a good solution to offer my users requesting blogs but i don't have the time to edit a 1000 different blog templates, guess i will be switching over to a different blog solution to provide my users.
    personally i think this is going to hurt WP after all it is our risk not yours.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"users who want to include their own company code etc place their own headers."

And there's a Custom Header API to let users do that.
    There's also widget, etc.. and other plugins like custom CSS to let users *lightly* edit themes.

You can't edit php in the themes at wordpress.COM either and they host quite a few hundred thousand blogs. Doesn't look like it's hurting them at all.

Your original question didn't specify that you wanted *users* to edit themes, it just sounded like you wanted to make a minor theme edit sitewide.

Also, themes are *shared* - if you let one user really edit the default theme, then everyone using that theme gets that change.\

oh, and there's a Userthemes plugin. You know, one that lets each user have a copy of a theme so they can edit it.

And buddy, it's not an issue on a single user WP blogs because, you know, the guy posting in it usually has ftp / cpanel / server access and can blow away the whole blog if he wants. If you're lettign users edit themes willy-nilly in WPMU, they CAN plunk in some code in there to delete the entire database.

So if you want to take that risk, have at it.

And thanks for going after the volunteers, we love getting kicked.

5. DaveGilbert
    Posted 15 years ago #

where in my post do i go after anyone i am simply stating that each user can select a theme(template to use in their MU blog and without the ability to edit that theme(template) it makes MU too restrictive to use.
    Multi user should be Multi User and should allow all the same abilities as in any normal wordpress blog not just allow members to post to a pre set format
    as for deleting the database thats the users risk and we should be allowed the opportunity to decide if we want to take that risk not have the decision made for us after all it is a simple matter of placing a switch in the admin settings to switch theme editing on or off once the code enabling this has been restored

6. DaveGilbert
    Posted 15 years ago #

further more if some unscrupulous person did implant malicious code into their blog (God only knows why a Registered user would do this) the site could be restored from the backup that all responsible webmasters keep for just such emergencies i would rate the comment system as posing a far higher risk.

7. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

Psst, http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Userthemes-Revisited

But don't let a jabroni use the theme-editor.

8. DaveGilbert
    Posted 15 years ago #

psst some installation instructions would be nice and Thank you

Dave

9. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

Psst, it's an mu-plugin.

Do not put theme-editor.php in your wp-admin folder until you are certain the full implications of enabling access to it.

Reason 1: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/delete.html
    Reason 2: http://ca3.php.net/unlink

Done.

10. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Psst, dsader, how can I get in contact with you?

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by DaveGilbert
  • Latest reply from boonika