The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Theme backend questions (11 posts)

1. dmak
    Posted 15 years ago #

Question 1: I want to know if it's possible to have my theme for my main MU website and not allow my users to select that theme.

Question 2: Is it possible to have all newly created blogs to be set to a default theme until they change it?

Question 3: How does the users edit the header images without access to FTP?

2. d_kc
    Posted 15 years ago #

You should install MU and look around/create test users. It'll answer all your questions and more.

You can select which themes are available to your users.

3. dmak
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't exactly answer the 3rd question.

4. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

1)
    First, SiteAdmin-->Themes disable the theme you want restricted to a blog.
    Second SiteAdmin-->Blogs-->Edit to assign the theme to the blog of choice.
    Finally, activate the theme as any other.

2)
    Any theme inside the /wp-content/themes/default folder becomes the default theme (beware when upgrading as the install zip may have a default theme in there and overwrite your custom default theme)

3)
    Only themes with a custom header option page can do that. The Custom Header tools are built in to Wordpress but template files require a bit of editing to enable the feature. Many themes can use this method: http://boren.nu/archives/2007/01/07/custom-image-header-api/

5. neilm
    Posted 15 years ago #

My question is how do I force users to use just the default theme while allowing my main site to use a custom theme?

At the minute they get the option to choose because both of these themes are turned on.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Disable the main site theme.

Enable it for *just your blog* by going to Site Admin -> Blogs - edit.

There will be a checkbox on the right side showing all disabled themes. Check off the one you want. Save.

7. tdcaron
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi All,

Sorry to bother you all, but I think I have a problem with the themes.php page in the admin/folder.

Here's the reason I say this.

the original install gives you 3 Default Themes, and when viewed using themes.php everything works fine.

Now I have added 50 themes, and I went back to preview those themes and all I get is a blank screen.

It seems like the themes.php has some how disabled itself and I can not preview the themes in the admin area.

Has anyone come across this problem.
    I have the latest build of wordpress mu with a fresh install using subdirectories, only because my host will not allow me to change the httpd.conf file to allow subdomains.

You can setup a test account at http://backtothebasicsofbusiness.info/wp-signup.php and see what I mean.

There has to be something within the script that causes this but I can not seem to find a solution.

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
    Tim

8. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Now I have added 50 themes

That's the problem. You need to add them in one at a time, test the theme completely within a test blog, and then make it available to your end users. Not every theme works with WPMu. (Actually there's a lot of themes that don't work with regular WordPress but that's another story.)

I have the latest build of wordpress mu

Please next time actually state what version of WPMu you're using. What's latest to you may not be latest to someone else. Latest version is r1504 out of trac. Are you running that or the latest version from the download page? (Actually if you do that on our support forums, you owe the kitty for our charity of the month a buck.)

9. tdcaron
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok tdjcbe,

I will take your advice, I will disable the current themes and enable and test them one at a time.

Oh btw, the version that I have is from the download page version I believe is 2.6.2 if I'm not mistaken.

Thank you.
    If I have any further trouble with this I will get back with you.

Thanks again
    Tim

10. tdcaron
    Posted 15 years ago #

Heah tdjcbe,

I forgot to tell you that I am also using the userthemes.php to allow editing of the themes by different users when activated.

I disabled all the themes that I had previously activated.
    And tried to view the currnt themes and they still would not view in the themes.php page.

But when I copied and activated the theme for a particular user it was viewable in themes.php.

Would the userthemes.php have something to do with disabling the themes.php page.

Any thoughts?
    Tim

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"But when I copied and activated the theme for a particular user it was viewable in themes.php.

Would the userthemes.php have something to do with disabling the themes.php page."

Yes, because that's how userthemes work. You have to copy over each and every one for them to use.

About this Topic