The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Password ???? (4 posts)

1. davegrace
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello,
    In WordPress MU, dose the password option (site options) mean only those with password privileges can edit a blog (while all others can view it or does it mean only those who know the password can see the post?
    Thank you
    Dave

2. dgilmour
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do you mean the password option under Write Post?

If so, maybe you're on an earlier version which doesn't make this clear. Under 2.5, the option is titled "Password Protect this Post", and is explained as follows:

Setting a password will require people who visit your blog to enter the above password to view this post and its comments.

Editing any blog content is restricted to users with the appropriate level of access to the blog itself, and has nothing to do with password-protected posts.

3. davegrace
    Posted 15 years ago #

I had read about the"Password Protect this Post" protect in "Wordpress for Dummies" (while not a dummy, I am a newbee) and maybe thats where my confusion stems from. What I want to accomplish is to produce a site where users can gain access to an area where they can announce upcoming events (blog?) and whereby no one else can edit those comments (except the admin)
    So when I establish another blog, say one for the local SPCA I can give them access to edit THAT blog, but they can only read the postings from another group.?
    Dave

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Password Protect this Post" is only on a post-by-post basis.

For what you want, yes Mu can do it, but use the more-privacy options plugin.
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/More-Privacy-Options

For each user's blog, yes they can edit those posts and the approved people visiting can only comment on them or see them if they are logged in (assuming that's the option you picked).

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by davegrace
  • Latest reply from andrea_r