The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Managing capabilities. How?? (8 posts)

1. barrybell
    Posted 18 years ago #

I upgraded wurk last weekend to the latest nightly and all went well.

One issue I'm having is how to efficiently manage roles and capabilities of new users.

For example, I add a new user to the DB and give them a role (editor, administrator, etc) for a blog. Then when they try to write a post on that blog, their name doesn't appear in the 'author' tab on the right hand side of the post page - unless i go into phpmyadmin and give them a user_level value.

So, what I'm after is an easier way to manage the capabilities and roles of users - basically so I can do it from the admin panel, and not have to fire up phpmyadmin.

Is there anything like that for MU right now? Or am I missing something blatantly obvious? ;o))

Cheers

B

2. andrea_r
    Posted 18 years ago #

So... after looking aroud your site, it looks like you don't want just anyone signing up. Right?

Why not use the invite system then? After they email you, you can send the new user an invite instead of adding them manually to the system (which seems like a really convoluted way to go about it).

3. barrybell
    Posted 18 years ago #

Ah... good idea. I didn't think of that, and yep, it would make it easier. But what I need to do a lot of the time is add brand new users to existing blogs *without* creating a bunch of redundant blogs at the same time.

So, here's the process as it is now...

- I manually add a new user (but not a blog)
    - then I add that user to an existing blog (as an editor or whatever) using the current admin backend
    - then (and this is the problem), I still need to go into phpmyadmin and add a 'user_level' value for that user/blog combination before they can post on the blog under their own name.

What I think I'd like is a quick and dirty admin panel plugin for managing this a little better. Right now, though, that's beyond me in terms of time, so I was just wondering if anyone had put anything like that together.

I know I'm deviating slightly from MU's original intended purpose, but believe me, this is far easier than managing 30 plus installs of WP.

;o)

4. andrea_r
    Posted 18 years ago #

I think "adding users to blogs without a new blog" is near the top of the most requested new features list. :)

5. barrybell
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yep, I think I've requested it at least 348 times now.

;o)

6. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

It's easy enough to achieve though isn't it? I can't remember the exact process I went though to get this but it's something to do with editing out certain lines in users.php, try replating wp-admin/users.php with this file... just might work:

http://incsub.org/users.zip

7. barrybell
    Posted 18 years ago #

Yep, I was doing that before I upgraded, and was still having to deal with the issue I mentioned above.

I'll try again with this latest nightly and see how that works out.

Ta

B

8. barrybell
    Posted 18 years ago #

OK, I've just been digging into this a little more.

The exact problem is when you change the role of a user from within the SiteAdmin>Blogs>Edit page.

The user role (Administrator/Editor/Etc) updates fine, but for some reason, the user_level *doesn't* update - and that was causing me all kinds of issues.

So, there's another little bug(ger) to look at.

But, if you change the user's role from the actual blog's backend, the user_level does update as it should. So, for the time being, if you're messing about with changing roles, etc, it's better to do it from within the blog itself, rather than from the SiteAdmin panel.

It's probably a simple fix, but I have piles of other stuff to take care of right now, so I'll try to check it out next week.

And Farms, that users.php still works great for adding users but not blogs.

Cheers.

B

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by barrybell
  • Latest reply from barrybell