The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

DNS Wildcard doesn't work (7 posts)

1. savesheep
    Posted 15 years ago #

My website is http://www.sheaallen.com and i'm trying to get my subdomain of http://design.sheaallen.com to work. Originally it wouldn't ping or anything but I created an A name to resolve to my IP address. Now, as you see, it goes to the plesk page. How is it supposed to be forwarding to my second blog? Also, I'm on a VPS, so my IP is shared among many domain names. Thanks!

2. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Look at the readme file included with the download. You need a wildcard entry in your vhost something like:

ServerAlias sheallen.com *.sheallen.com

That is the wildcard needed for apache as well as the DNS entry.

Trent

3. savesheep
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey trent, I added the wildcard in DNS, where do I add this in apache? As you can see, the subdomain works as it just redirects to my server IP..thus resulting in nothing. Thanks!

4. savesheep
    Posted 15 years ago #

btw, this is my htaccess file:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !.*wp-content/plugins.*
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

# add a trailing slash to /wp-admin
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} ^.*/wp-admin$
    RewriteRule ^(.+)$ /$1/ [R=301,L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    <Files async-upload.php>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </Files>
    </IfModule>

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's the default htaccess which is created on install. trent already told you the answer was in the readme, It tells you what apache file needs editing.

If you can't get to it, ask your host.

6. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just FYI: A VPS usually stands for "virtual private server", meaning you have your own environment within an actual server that is independent of all the other people on it. If you really do have a VPS, your IP is a dedicated one in most cases and you should be able to do this all yourself. All that is left to do is add the ServerAlias to apache. Don't ask how to do that as this isn't a hand holding forum.

7. savesheep
    Posted 15 years ago #

For anybody else who couldn't figure it out - most VPS servers have the wildcard serveralias already built in for security reasons. If you're using plesk, and you've added your additional A Name DNS wildcard record already but it still doesn't work its because you need to set your default domain of the VPS IP to whatever your blog site is.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by savesheep
  • Latest reply from savesheep