The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

wildcard dns (7 posts)

1. billjones
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have spent a couple of days reading here and elsewhere about wildcard dns entries but nowhere have I seen a simple example that makes sense to me. In my dns panel I have 3 editable fields. Host name, address and record type. record type is a drop down pick menu. It currently reads as follows.

Host name------Address-----------------------Record Type
    @--------------http://www.mysharedhost.com---URL Redirect
    www------------@-----------------------------CNAME(alias)

--- added to maintain format
    my domain is redhillsmedia.com, what do I add to the above that will be a wildcard dns entry for subdomains???

Bill

2. lost-4-words
    Posted 15 years ago #

This looks like a spam post to me.

3. billjones
    Posted 15 years ago #

A little help would be more to my liking then just passing judgment, and it looks like you became a member about 12 minutes ago. Just to flame me???

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Bill,

Typically in the DNS area, you add a * as an A record that points to your IP address.

You also have to add a record to Apache as well as to your DNS records, so if you"re on a shared host, maybe ask support to do it?

5. billjones
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thank you, .I'll ask them to add it

6. bentrem
    Posted 15 years ago #

I found this in my host's wiki ... nice, clear, to the point, and no wack pissiness:

"Before we can even get to the installing of WPMU, we need to have our domain happy with a wildcard DNS entry. To do this, you will need to contact the support team and request that this be set up for you. Just let them know that you are installing WordPress MU and that you need a wildcard DNS entry, and a wildcard ServerAlias entry set up for the domain you're installing it on. DO NOT, DO NOT, do not skip this step, or use the panel or simply enter an asterisk"*" as a CNAME record on the panel. This is ineffective and will cause tremendous problems down the line."

In my experience the WPMU docs are written for someone who already understands it inside and out.
    My point is: "following orders" is a lousy way of instructing people. If I knew how WPMU worked this would have been self-evident. ("Understanding the loop" is foundational to WP. I haven't found anything like it for MU.)

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by billjones
  • Latest reply from andrea_r