The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Help setting up MU on Godaddy (if possilbe) (11 posts)

1. realsol
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have my domain hosted on godaddy along with 5 other domains hosted on the same account. My primary is my root while my other domains I have pointed to sub-directories on Godaddy.

I have been having a big problem getting MU to run the way it is suppose to. I installed it off my root, /wpmu, as a subdirectory installation (couldn't get sub.domains to work, might be the same problem).

I can run my main domain/wpmu just fine. I can create additional 'bolgs' for that 'site' just fine. But when I wanted to host my other domains within MU I had to install the multi site plug-in. With it installed, I can setup my other domains just fine as 'sites'. What I can't do is create additional 'blogs' on my other domain sites. Keep in mind they are all hosted on the same shared hosting plan as my primary.

I can create a create a sub-domain on Godaddy and set it up as a 'site' using the plug-in for my other domains, but I can not create any additional 'blogs' for any other domain other than my primary domain, except for the default 'blog' setup when I create the individual 'sites'.

Is this just impossible to do with Godaddy? If I have other domains I host, do I always have to create a separate site for that domain? Why do I get 500 server errors when I try to create a blog from one of my other sites?

I hope this make sense. Thanks. 48 hours later and before I move too much further I figured I better ask.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"What I can't do is create additional 'blogs' on my other domain sites. "

How are you trying to create them?

3. realsol
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, let me shorten the problem since I have installed so many ways, so many times.

Godaddy doesn't support wildcard subdomains so I installed the directory install to keep from having to create subs within Godaddy. It installs and gives me my originall blog, but I get 404 errors whenever I create a new blog ex: mydomain.com/newblog.

I installed site manager plug-in to setup top level domains. Seems to work fine thought I would have liked to create a directory blog and then edit the blog and change the url to point to the top level domain. Site manager works fine for what I want, but I would like to be able to create blogs within each site. This always gives me a 404 error.

4. STDestiny
    Posted 15 years ago #

In my experience, wpmu WILL NOT WORK on goDaddy unless you have at least the 2nd tier shared hosting plan and the "static ip" addon (an extra $2.99 per month.)

I run my mu on goDaddy shared hosting with wildcard subdomains just fine with this setup. You just need to add a *.mydomain.com entry to your dns and have it point to the same directory as mydomain.com.

5. realsol
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks STDestiny,

I felt like giving up earlier, but I think I am addicted in getting this to work.

When I setup the subdomain option, I couldn't log-into the sites. I could see them though. I actually created only one subdomain (new.mydomain.com). I would create the new blog and then go directly into the edit blog area and change the domain name to one of my top domain names. Worked without having to create an aditional site using site manager, although I could not log in. This was true before and after I change the url of the blog.

I have never heard of 2nd-tier hosting. I have the deluxe plan now, not the standard. Is that 2nd tier?

Because of the problems I had setting up the subdomains with the logging in issue, I went back to the directory install. Pain not being able to choose between them after an installation. But with the directories, I get the 404 error. Would that go away if I go with the 2nd tier hosting? Is it really creating a 'so to speak' sub domain in the background since the directories really don't exist?

When talking to Godaddy today, they said the only way I could get a wildcard subdomain setting would be to go with their virtual server option rather than shared hosting. Shared hosing is only $8 a month vs. $35 a month with CPanel. Also, shared hosting gives you 300 gigs while the virtual server only gives you 10 gigs. What exactly do you have?

6. STDestiny
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Deluxe" is what I meant by 2nd tier. Once you buy the static IP, you can go into the "TotalDNS" for your main domain (and any secondary domains) and add an "A" record of "*.mydomain.com" that is identical to the "A" record for your main domain, e.g.:

If your primary "A" record is:

A @ 192.168.1.100

You'll make a new record

A *.mydomain.net 192.168.1.100

Hope that helps.

7. realsol
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks STDestiny. I was just getting ready to move my domains to DreamHost because of the wildcard sub problem.

I can chage the TotalDNS now although I don't have a static IP address. I have never seen my IP address change unless I have changed my primary. I was told by Godday, "Thank you for contacting online support. Unfortunately, you will only be able to manage wildcard subdomains within a Virtual Dedicated or Dedicated server interface. I apologize for any inconvenience. " But, it's not the first time I have been told something that wasn't exactly correct. If you have it setup this way, then I will try to do the same before I get a static ip.

Still really don't have a problem moving, but I can't find much information on DreamHost as far as admin friendliness and speed. Just that they do support multi domains, unlimited MySQL and some more stuff that GoDaddy just doesn't. Do you know anything about DreamHost, or does anyone here?

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Anything I know about dreamhost isn't good.

9. realsol
    Posted 15 years ago #

OK. I was able to specify a '*' in my 'a' record and they accepted it. In fact, I never read the little help screen before but it explained how to do it. Although I am getting

Forbidden
    You don't have permission to access / on this server.

Additionally, a 403 Forbidden error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

I don't have a static IP address and I am not sure if this is the problem. My wordpressmu is a directory below the root in /wpmu. I am getting ready to move it to the root. I have set up everything as a 'site' right now using the multi site plug-in with actual sub domain names and domains that are setup in GoDaddy. So once I move the directory and update my GoDaddy sub's and domain pointing, it should run fine in the root since I am not 'really' using any virtual hosts.

But, I really want to set them up so I don't have to always manually create sub's in Godaddy. Would the static IP be my only problem now, although my ip address hasn't changed in years?

10. realsol
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am looking for an inexpensive host if I can't get GoDaddy to work the way I want with wildcards. I really don't want to go with a server solution if I don't have too. Really small websites right now. Other than dreamhost, can anyone suggest another inexpensive host that would be comparable to GoDaddy but offer wildcard domains?

11. STDestiny
    Posted 15 years ago #

Not having the static ip is definitely (at least in part) the issue. You MUST have a static ip address on godaddy for wildcard subdomains to work. It's an extra $2.99 per month with godaddy, but it's still a lot cheaper than upgrading to a server plan.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by realsol
  • Latest reply from STDestiny