The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrade 2.6 to 2.6.1 (18 posts)

1. johanhorak
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi I want to upgrade and got this from Donncha "Upgrading is as easy as copying over the files of your current install".

Is it really that simple? I have made a backup and now want to copy the files over my current install.

If you can give me a better feeling about this.

Regards

Johan

2. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

There are at least 5 topics about it on this forum and you can Google for others. I don't think that this last upgrade is any different.

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/search.php

3. johanhorak
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi Thanks. And sorry for adding more on the same. but i could not find any to verify the note above.

4. johanhorak
    Posted 15 years ago #

For those naive and not so clever MU users that don't want to stuff their site up and who checked the forum to see if they could just do the following:

"Upgrading is as easy as copying over the files of your current install".

I did just that and it worked.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

And click the upgrade button in the backend.

Upgrade instructions are also outlines in the Codex (the official documentation).

6. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is there something important inside new wp-config.php that author should pay attention at?

7. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

And if you have edits to the core files, it's a good idea to keep track of them. I note them down in a text file and re-apply the changes after the upgrade. Then upgrade all the blogs.

8. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Whay don't you do it before the upgrade. Any particular reason?

9. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Interesting :) I do upgrade first and then apply my changes/hacks/etc to files.

Does it make any difference: editing files before or after clicking Upgrade?

One of the reasons I do edits afterwards is that one of my edits disables 'silent upgrade' feature discussed here: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=8245

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

The Upgrade button only affects the database.

11. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

I just like to make sure everything is working right with the release. Then i add my changes, which (right now) are only cosmetic anyway.

12. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, I knew that upgrade only changes the database. So there's no difference when to mess with files :)

13. DrEarlRSmithII
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am finding it impossible to upgrade from 2.5 to 2.6. My hosting is on Go Daddy - all the sites on Network Solutions upgraded without a problem. But when I upgrade to 2.6 on the Go Daddy hosting account everything seems to go well until I have to log back in after the installation. The old password does not work and I request a new password. That doesn't work either - so I have had to go back to 2.5 just to get the site to display. Any ideas? Thanks, Chief

14. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is that the new password that doesn't work or the email sending of the new password?

What specifically is occurring? Any specific errors? Afraid you're going to have to give some specifics so we know what is occurring.

edit: Changes were made to the wp-config.php file as well.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/changeset/1422

15. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Clear your browser cache and make *SURE* you copied all of the files.

16. webmaestro
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just for clarity, are the changes for wp-config-sample.php *required* for wordpress-mu-2.6.1?

edit: Changes were made to the wp-config.php file as well.

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/changeset/1422

Assuming

define('VHOST', 'VHOSTSETTING');
    $base = 'BASE';
    define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'current_site_domain' ); //* new to wpmu-2.6.1
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', 'current_site_path' );     //* new to wpmu-2.6.1

// Change each KEY to a different unique phrase.  You won't have to remember the phrases later,

What happens if the above aren't set?

I'm assuming the new params should be set to my-current-domain.com and absolute-path-to-my-wpmu-2.6.1-install, respectively, but I'd feel all warm and cozy if that were explicit...

17. tandthamera
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have downloaded and upgraded to WPMU 2.6.1 but I do not see these additions in the downloaded wp-config-sample.php file:

define('DOMAIN_CURRENT_SITE', 'current_site_domain' ); //* new to wpmu-2.6.1
    define('PATH_CURRENT_SITE', 'current_site_path' ); //* new to wpmu-2.6.1

Can someone clarify?

18. jamescollins
    Posted 15 years ago #

Those changes to wp-config-sample.php were made in trunk, not in the 2.6 branch.

My understanding of this is that those two new keys will be part of the next major version of WPMU (2.7), not in the 2.6.x minor releases.

I upgraded our WPMU clusters from 1.5.1 to 2.6.1 on Monday without any problems. During this upgrade I added the the following keys to wp-config.php:
    AUTH_KEY, SECURE_AUTH_KEY, SECURE_AUTH_SALT, LOGGED_IN_KEY, LOGGED_IN_SALT
    But these were required to be added in WPMU 2.6.

Upgrading from 2.6 to 2.6.1 shouldn't require any modification to wp-config.php.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by johanhorak
  • Latest reply from jamescollins