The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Pages loading dog slow (6 posts)

1. ChrisXX
    Posted 15 years ago #

I looked through the forum and kept coming up empty handed. I've loaded wp-cache, and yes that helped with the front page, but the admin pages are so slow it isn't funny.

I'm running

Fedora 9
    ISPConfig Hosting Control
    PHP 5 latest
    MySql 5 latest
    Apache 2 latest

Dual 3.4ghz Xeon
    4gb memory

Oh, and I've 777'd the entire install because I'm just testing at this point. No luck.

Very low load on the box, only one other site running with minimal hits. Less than 200 a day.

The box should have the power to run this, but I can't figure out why it's choking. Sometimes 8 seconds to load a page. This is a fresh install, no customizations beyond wp-cache.

Please tell the noob what he missed. I know it's something silly. I can't believe MU runs like this. If so, I have to go with Movable Type instead, which I would rather not do.

Help!

Thanks in advance

2. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Nice server. Plugin's can often be to blame. Is this a fresh install? If you've added a bunch of plugins, try renaming your plugin's folder and looking at the performance.

To speed things up: Do you have gzip compression enabled to speed up browser download? Are you using wp-cache or super-cache by donncha? Donncha's is better for wpmu.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah, should be pretty fast. You sure the server is configured correctly?

4. ChrisXX
    Posted 15 years ago #

On a hunch, I just did something. (well, a few hours ago)

I was accessing the virtual server using a host table entry on my PC. So just to see if it would make a difference, I changed the DNS for the domain to point to the server, and dropped the host table entry.

*poof*, works perfectly. Apparently MU does some sort of a lookup on the server, and the server didn't know the domain existed from a DNS or host table perspective. Only my client did.

The pages now load in 1 second or less. So much for Movable Type :)

Thanks for the suggestion MrBrian. If you or anyone else needs to run an external gzip test, this page is great...
    http://www.whatsmyip.org/mod_gzip_test/

-X

5. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ah, so the bottleneck was the DNS lookups. Slipped my mind, but i had that same issue happen. Glad you got it fixed

6. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

And folks don't believe us when we say it's suggested not to do redirects like this.

Someone care to bookmark this for future use?

About this Topic