The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Changing domain .tld after installation? (3 posts)

1. sgrunt
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'd like to put online an MU multiblog, and hosting it with HostGator.
    I've just registered my domain with an italian provider, because HG can't register italian .it domains, and i wanted to transfer it after the registration.

I didn't know that domains can't be transfered before 60 days since their registration!

60 days are a long period and i'm trying to come out from this hook.
    I'm thinking to register directly with HostGator a .com domain (example: myblog.com) and starting uploading and setting up MU.

I could configure dns for myblog.it, pointing to myblog.com

After the 60 days i would like to change in MU everything that links to the .com extension (email, links, etc...) moving to the .it extension.

In your opinion this could be a pain in the butt (think to subdomains for example), or there is a simpler way to coming out from this situation?

Thanx

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do you think you'll have any users? I'm thinking probably not. Unless you're already familiar with MU and have a plan all drawn up and know exactly what you're doing, getting the entire site launched in 60 days is a crunch.

That being said, you can change the domain name, but it involves backing up the entire database, modifying the domain name in every field it appears (do a search and replace on a COPY of the db backup ), the replacing the original db with the new copy.

3. sgrunt
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanx Andrea for the info about backupping..yes, it seems a real pain! Now i'm taking information about a way to escape from this: maybe ccTld (cc is for country code) don't need the 60 days block period, it would be great.

For the other question: my MU site is ready, i should only put it online, and it has taken months of hard work to be done, cause it's my first time with Mu, php, sql etc...

About this Topic