The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Can Install WPMU in subdirectory, but not root directory (22 posts)

1. SuperMario290
    Posted 15 years ago #

Okay, so I'm trying to install wordpress mu on nintaku.com, but I can't seem to install it in the root. I've tried to install it in a subdirectory, and that works, but I still can't install it on the root directory. Can someone please help? Oh, and I'm trying to install version 6.2.1. Thanks!

2. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

You are going to have to describe the problem more than that. What exactly happens when you install in root compared to a directory.

3. SuperMario290
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, I just compress all of the and upload them into the root, and I get this error:

Warning: constant() [function.constant]: Couldn't find constant VHOST in /home/keenanpa/public_html/nintaku/wp-settings.php on line 100

Warning: constant() [function.constant]: Couldn't find constant VHOST in /home/keenanpa/public_html/nintaku/wpmu-settings.php on line 33
    No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance.

4. qdinar
    Posted 15 years ago #

VHOST is defined in the wp-config.php .
    i think you should delete wp-config.php to start new install. have you deleted it (if it was there)?

5. SuperMario290
    Posted 15 years ago #

I never even made a wp-config file. I just download and compressed all of the files, and uploaded them.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Why are you compressing them? Are you even getting to the install page?

7. SuperMario290
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm compressing them so that they're not in a subdirectory when I upload the file. And no, I'm not even getting to the install page.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Got a link?

9. SuperMario290
    Posted 15 years ago #

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

/home/keenanpa/public_html/nintaku/wp-settings.php

Looks like they're in a subdirectory to me.

how about rather than transferring the files the way you have been, just ftp them all up?

or, put the *proginal* zip file on the server at the same folder level as public_html. Unpack it on the server. There should be a wpmu folder as well as a public_html folder.
    Rename public_html to public_html_old.
    Rename wpmu folder to public_html.

11. SuperMario290
    Posted 15 years ago #

because keenanpayne.com is my main domain, and nintaku.com is an addon domain, so it's in a subdirectory.

12. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

MU has some serious issues (as you can see) when you try installing it like that - as an add-on domain.

I don't really know how to get around it, as I always install it as the main domain of the account.

Since you're on shared hosting, just go grab another account. (and you know shared hosting is not recommended for MU, right? If you're just testing and poking around, you shoudl be fine, but if you're looking to set up a huge site, you;re gonna have to go for at least a vps.)

13. SuperMario290
    Posted 15 years ago #

I had it working before, but I deleted it, and now it won't work....it's just weird...

14. siteblob
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi, I'm using a shared hosting also. I've tried installed in the main domain, sub-directories, but it is not working as well.

It also show Couldn't find constant VHOST on line 100 and line 33.

Actually, do we need to do any configuration at the config file?

Is there any WPMU2.6.1 working site for reference? This installation is too tough for me~

15. Christophe26
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello,

When you deleted all the files to install it again, did you do this with your favorite ftp-program (like filezilla, ...) or with the ftp-program of the hostingcompany? It is possible that there is a file you still must delete which is not visible in a ftp-program like filezila, like a .htaccess file for exemple.

Go to the ftp-program of your hosting and be sure you delete ALL the files before uploading again. Don't forget to set the permissions etc .... when installing again.

If it worked before, it must work again, but this reminded me I had a similar problem. Installing, working, deleting, and it didn't work anymore. Yet I got it fixed, so don't dispair. :)

16. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

And read the readme file.

17. geneffects
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is it really impossible to install WPMU in the root of an add-on domain?

It sounds as if I am experiencing similar problems to SuperMario290. The main account I have is geneffects.com, and I am trying to install WPMU in an add-on domain at:

http://itscarrboro.com

But I'm being taunted with this error:

Warning: constant() [function.constant]: Couldn't find constant VHOST in /home/geneffec/public_html/itscarrboro/wpmu-settings.php on line 34
    No WPMU site defined on this host. If you are the owner of this site, please check Debugging WPMU for further assistance.

Like SuperMario290 I also have had success installing it in a directory in an add-on domain. The domain satanornot.com (don't ask) is also an add-on for geneffects and though I could not install WPMU in the base I was able to get it running in:

http://satanornot.com/test/

This is baffling. If it can install in a subdirectory in an add-on domain, I don't see why it can't intall in the main directory.

To answer potential questions: I cleaned out the directory, including invisible files such as .htaccess. I did not try to create my own wp-config file. Permissions are correctly set.

18. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

There's a single WP install at geneffects.com isn't there?

There's code in there that travels up a dir looking for a config file. Temporarily disable the other one and you should be good to go.

19. geneffects
    Posted 15 years ago #

That worked like a charm, andrea_r! Is that scenario covered in your e-book about installing WPMU?

For others reading this: If you have an add-on domain in which you wish to install WPMU and your main domain already has a version of wordpress running, simply rename the wp-config file in the main domain while you do your set up. I called mine "wp-cconfig.php". Your main website will be unavailable for the minute or two it gets you to set up WPMU on your add-on domain. (don't forget to change the config file back!)

20. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yep, it is. In the back under "troubleshooting".

21. tweetboxlive
    Posted 15 years ago #

I just tried the hack geneffects mentioned and was able to start the install. It correctly set-up the wp-config.php file and the database etc. then I got a 500 internal server error.

I am using a subdomain of an add-on domain. maybe that's the issue.

http://members.actorsonline.co.uk

22. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Probably.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by SuperMario290
  • Latest reply from andrea_r