The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Problem with installation (9 posts)

1. caligola
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have installed wordpress mu on local server, but i have this message:

Problem in wp-config.php - $base is set to BASE when it should be the path like "/" or "/blogs/"! Please fix it!

Can you help me?

The tag $base = 'BASE'; is correct?

Please help.

I use easyphp 2.0.0 and windows xp as operative system.

Many thanks.

C'è qualche utente italiano che può aitarmi? Grazie.

2. caligola
    Posted 15 years ago #

This is my file wp-config.php

<?php
    /* Don't try to create this file by hand. Read the README.txt and run the installer. */
    // ** MySQL settings ** //
    define('DB_NAME', 'wordpress-mu'); // The name of the database
    define('DB_USER', 'root'); // Your MySQL username
    define('DB_PASSWORD', ''); // ...and password
    define('DB_HOST', 'localhost'); // 99% chance you won't need to change this value
    define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    define('DB_COLLATE', '');
    define('VHOST', 'VHOSTSETTING');
    $base = 'BASE';

// Change each KEY to a different unique phrase. You won't have to remember the phrases later,
    // so make them long and complicated. You can visit http://api.wordpress.org/secret-key/1.1/
    // to get keys generated for you, or just make something up. Each key should have a different phrase.
    define('AUTH_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here'); // Change this to a unique phrase.
    define('SECURE_AUTH_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here'); // Change this to a unique phrase.
    define('SECURE_AUTH_SALT', 'put your unique phrase here'); // Change this to a unique phrase.
    define('LOGGED_IN_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here'); // Change this to a unique phrase.
    define('SECRET_KEY', 'put your unique phrase here'); // Change these to unique phrases.
    define('SECRET_SALT', 'put your unique phrase here');
    define('LOGGED_IN_SALT', 'put your unique phrase here');

// double check $base
    if( $base == 'BASE' )
    die( 'Problem in wp-config.php - $base is set to BASE when it should be the path like "/" or "/blogs/"! Please fix it!' );
    // You can have multiple installations in one database if you give each a unique prefix
    $table_prefix = 'wp_'; // Only numbers, letters, and underscores please!

// Change this to localize WordPress. A corresponding MO file for the
    // chosen language must be installed to wp-content/languages.
    // For example, install de.mo to wp-content/languages and set WPLANG to 'de'
    // to enable German language support.
    define ('WPLANG', '');

// uncomment this to enable wp-content/sunrise.php support
    //define( 'SUNRISE', 'on' );

// Uncomment and set this to a URL to redirect if a blog does not exist or is a 404 on the main blog. (Useful if signup is disabled)
    // For example, browser will redirect to http://examples.com/ for the following: define( 'NOBLOGREDIRECT', 'http://example.com/' );
    // define( 'NOBLOGREDIRECT', '' );

define( "WP_USE_MULTIPLE_DB", false );

/* That's all, stop editing! Happy blogging. */

if ( !defined('ABSPATH') )
    define('ABSPATH', dirname(__FILE__) . '/');
    require_once(ABSPATH . 'wp-settings.php');
    ?>

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

When you install MU, you are NOT supposed to create the config file manually. Delete it. Reinstall.

Also, if you actually read the config file you pasted in, it says exactly that. That's wp-config-SAMPLE.php, which should stay that way.

4. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

WPMU is even telling him exactly what the problem is and what to do. Very sad. You can use the sample file, but you need to be smart enough to input the values yourself, otherwise during install WPMU will create it for you (if it can).

5. caligola
    Posted 15 years ago #

Many thanks my friends, now i try the new installation and after i tell you the result.

6. orlisgal
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi there - I'm having the same issue. This person mis-spoke slightly; what they meant was they didn't install mu yet: they ftp'd their files and are now attempting to install it per the instructions, through their browser. And I understand what they're saying because I'm having the same issue.

First I ftp'd the unzipped mu files to my server. Then I went to my domain and index.php file (manoamanocombat.grantproposalservices.com/mma/index.php).

It first said "there's no wp-config.php file - you need to create one!" and it had a little "create here" button underneath it. When I clicked on that, it did nothing. So I clicked a couple more times, and then I got this error message: "Problem in wp-config.php - $base is set to BASE when it should be the path like "/" or "/blogs/"! Please fix it!"

Thing is - there IS no wp-config.php file. There is a sample one as MrBrian suggested. Fortunately, I was smart enough to look at it and realize I should put in the DB values as he suggests, even though andrea_r and the installation documentation say it should be created automatically. Still...that did not work.

I then got an error message about setting the VHOST to "yes" or "no" - so I tried both ways. More error messages. So I deleted that file and put the old one back, and now I'm just wondering...how do I install this mu?

Any suggestions? How is the wp-config file supposed to be auto-generated if we FTP the files?

Thanks for any help.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

This is a well-known issue if you have another WP install in the same web account. Rather than send you off searching for all the threads, the fix is here:

http://wpmututorials.com/installation2/installing-in-a-subfolder/

8. orlisgal
    Posted 14 years ago #

HAHAHA - Just came back to post this on this thread as I did the other, as I did find this and it worked. As follows:::

Brilliant - per andrea_r on a different thread, found this:

"...there's core WP code in there that travels up one directory.

usually people with this setup have a different issue with it actually reading the root config file. You could try disabling that long enough to get it installed."

So I had WP installed on the same server, just a different folder. Disabled the wp-config.php file in that other folder and was then able to run the browser install program!

Thanks andrea_r!

9. muhlwebdev
    Posted 14 years ago #

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by caligola
  • Latest reply from muhlwebdev