The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Photo Gallery Per User Basis (17 posts)

1. kmaz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi everyone,

Is there a possibility to give users (not a blog owner, just a user of a blog) their own photo gallery that they could manage.
    The blog owner could see and manage all the photo galleries but the simple users of the blog could just manage their own photo gallery.

Thank you.

2. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Never heard of a plugin like that, not even for normal wordpress. You would have to code it.

3. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

Gallery2(with wpg2 plugin) syncs WPMU and G2 users. G2 isn't for the feint of heart, though. Integrates well, I'm told. But the G2 multisite documentation may scare you away, though.

4. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Gallery2 is really nice (and big) application and could be solution for you but think twice before you use it cause it's another software (next to wp) you'll have to maintain. As I remember you'll have to install it in the root directory of your WPMU installation.

5. kmaz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thank you.

I already looked at G2 but I don't now if I will use it since it seems a lot of works and again more links and tabs and options for my users.I want something kind of simple and lightweight. I am also not really sure to get it totally.Using G2 as an individual and independent gallery for each subscribers of a blog through the network of a thousand blogs means one installation per subscribers, so a lot of install ?
    I think I will try to develop something from the roots or picking stuff here and there, put them together, warm it up and as soon as I have something coherent I'll post is here.

I plan to write a plugin which will create within the blog image upload folder a folder with the user ID containing his images.Do you think it will be a problem because of the server folders limitation (I plan to have a lot lot of users ;) and if yes is there a workaround.

Thanks again

6. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

"Using G2 as an individual and independent gallery for each subscribers of a blog through the network of a thousand blogs means one installation per subscribers, so a lot of install ?"

I don't think so. Try one of these:

SMOOTH GALLERY
    http://smoothgallery.jondesign.net

CLEANER WORDPRESS GALLERY PLUGIN
    http://justintadlock.com/archives/2008/04/13/cleaner-wordpress-gallery-plugin

AWSOM PIX GALLERY
    http://www.awsom.org/awsom-pixgallery/

NEXTGEN GALLERY
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/nextgen-gallery/
    http://alexrabe.boelinger.com/forums/?forum=3&topic=67&page=1

7. kmaz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Actually, do you think I could modify the original upload module on the write a post page.
    So when you click browse, only the picture you uploaded shows up, on a user basis (not blog owners).
    I just want them to see all the pictures they have uploaded since they are registered.I don't really want them to post some fancy gallery or slideshow in their post, something really simple.
    Any idea ?
    Thank you

8. kmaz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok it is done.
    I finally reworked the NextGen Gallery by adding a user_id fields to the gallery and album tables during the tables creation.After a modification of the defaultpath to create a user folder with the userID for name :
    global $wpdb,$user_ID;
    get_currentuserinfo();`
    $defaultpath = $ngg_options['gallerypath']. $user_ID . "/";`

Now each request on the gallery and album tables is done by user_ID and..It works fine.
    In the back office every user see his own galleries, albums, images and nothing else.
    Thank you all for the help.

9. Arel Cruz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi kmaz, i`m trying to do the same thing as you for http://www.bmxchile.cl , is anny way to see your modifications in the plugin?
    thanks

10. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

you should also make the author aware of your changes, maybe ca will incorporate them as an option or make them available on his site?

just my 2 cents.

btw. your mod sounds interesting :-)

11. kmaz
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am going to contact the author to let him now for sure.
    Arel Cruz, I'll post here the steps to do that, just the time to put that together.
    I have another "challenge" now.
    I am using the sitewide tag page of Donncha and I am trying to shows this gallery and images on the tags blogs but since there are no reference to the blog in the NextGen tags, the only things which shows up is...the tags itself.However it works perfectly on the original blog.

I started a topic about that :
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=9761

12. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just to remind people their *is* an internal gallery function. To use it, people have to have posting abilities.

13. kmaz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi andrea, I am using WPMU 1.5, not the 2.6.
    This gallery function works on a blog basis or on a user basis ?
    My modifications gives every user their own independant gallery.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

It works on a post by post basis. If a user can make a post, they can create a gallery. Image galleries are post attachments. Set it up right, and you have galleries/ (page,s sub-pages...)

15. kmaz
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ah ok I know what you mean.
    However my intention was to create a "permanent" gallery .I mean, the users have their gallery that they can manage, come back later, check their pictures, add some new ones, delete and order them, kind of like myspace.
    So it was quite annoying that they can see the others user's pictures and galleries.

The website I am designing use Wordpress Mu in a different way.There are thousands of blogs but nobody owe one.The main admin owe them all and the users are just author on all this blogs.It is a tabloid for the US High Schools, every school has is own tabloid and the kids post about the school they are logged in.
    I made a lot of changes and added some functions and plugins to do so like a per-blog registration, friend plugin with add-friends buttons, private message in a lightbox, reward system with points for each comment post and post with picture etc and, the per user gallery management which works well on the original blog the users are logged in.

I am releasing it soon and I will post the link when it is done so you can see the result.

Now like I said my issue is to show the gallery and images from NextGen in the sitewidetags blog (Donncha's plugin).
    I believe that I have to use the switch to Blog in a certain way but for now I have no clue.

16. jamesb4551
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey Kmaz, I think I'm trying to do something similar to you, I've installed the WP nextGen gallery plugin and it seems great, you can restrict what the subscribers can and can't alter so this is what I need. Though I was wondering if you've come up with an easier way for subscribers to upload and manage pics, could like an upload page be built so as the user never needs to go into the dashboard, they just need a add gallery name and upload function on a form really. I then want the subscribers to be able to rate the gallery's and have the best ones displayed on a top 10 sidebar or page. I'm going to look into this but I'm an amateur so if you have a lamens way of explaining how to to this it would be most helpful. Thanks.

17. rankvn
    Posted 15 years ago #

Im coding photo notes plugins for wordpress, if you want to use it, please pm me!

About this Topic