The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

stats plugins for wpmu (43 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can we list some working stats plugins for wpmu here please?
    I am trying to get away from firestats, to be honest I just don't like its backend :-(

http://firestats.cc/

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

We use a modified version of one of the forks of wp-shortstat.

http://blog.happyarts.de/wp-shortstat

I believe we've had this discussion here in these forums.

3. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Firestats is a server killer if you have more than 100 users. It's a nice plugin, but I'm never ever installing it again, thanks :D

I use Google Analytics but analytics is just too much for regular people who are just starting out blogging.

So I've combined two plugins into one to give me, Site Wide Tracking, Per blog tracking and a simplified Dashboard Display of the user's Analytics account, and a Widget for displaying top posts tracked by ga.

So I get sweet graphs and stuff in Dashboard without the performance overhead and with Super-Cache compatibility.

I'll put it up for download later today..since i gotta clean up somethings that are specific to my setup.

4. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

The two plugins are MU Analytics and tantan reports. TanTan could probably work on its own out of the plugins folder along with Plugin Commander. But you don't get sitewide tracking.

The French one was translated and updated with the new google code, i changed some of the file names, and the options pages for the reports was modified to make it better suited on a MU install. Also removed the tracking feature from the Reports plugin since I used the other for tracking. there's more..but I can't remember and I didnt take notes :D

Thanks to the authors of both plugins ..I did nothing. I can see there's much room for improvement, but it's a good alternative to firestats, slimstats, statpress or the like. Hoping some skilled coder will take a look at this and produce something that works better.

One thing i couldnt figure out(with my limited experience) is how to allow the user to just enter their google account information and have it work. Instead of having them enter both their Account Info and the tracking ID.

Download. Extract into mu-plugins.
    Please use at own risk. Works on 2.6.1!

5. johanhorak
    Posted 15 years ago #

@Klarko Let me try this and get back to you. I extracted the files and there were more that I expected. I suppose I need to ftp them all to mu plugins.

6. johanhorak
    Posted 15 years ago #

@Klarko Well done it worked!!! Thanks. I had a small problem but reloaded the files and there you go.....

7. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

I found another stats plugin called statpress reloaded: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/statpress-reloaded/

I am currently trying it out and so far it seems pretty good. It only creates 1 table per blog, seems fair to me? I will see if I like it I might change the code a bit, so that it is automatically set to delete all data older than 1 month and hide that settings for everyone except the site-admin.

Have a look at it and let me know if I am missing something obvious please.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've been looking at statpress too. :) Seems fine to me as well.

9. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

The last update included a fix for MU which is cool that the author has us in mind. Hopefully, we see some MU specific features soon :)

The plugin itself right now has a few small bugs but otherwise it works great without much of a performance hit. Plus ..she's prettier than firestats :D

10. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yep, and it's prettier than shortstats too.

11. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

I got the author's attention in this post, maybe we can help him out with debugging/features suggestions if he wants to support wpmu?

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/208745

12. Success
    Posted 15 years ago #

Does it work for domain mapped blogs?

13. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

any new ideas or opinions?

14. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

StatPress does look quite interesting, I'd be interested to here how it slows things down (if it does) on a busy blog.

15. bloggsbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

You also have rafik_ga plugin. Just drop in mu-plugins folder and you and your users are ready to use Google Analytics.

I'm using this version on a WPµ 2.7 install, and it's working like a charm.

You can get it here. It's one English version and one Norwegian version.

Regards,
    RG

16. blogz
    Posted 15 years ago #

how is firestats working for wordpress mu ?

i think it eats up lot of memmory and cpu due to continuous processing

17. GeoffreyKOBrien
    Posted 15 years ago #

we're using firestats for over 500 blogs, and it's not messing up my server at all. Just set the commit to manual and run the php script on a cron as the directions say, i'm running it once an hour and it's working great.

18. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just noticed Firestats seems to have moved to a commercial license now. Anyone?

http://firestats.cc/wiki/CommercialUse

19. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've just implemented StatPress and am quite happy with it so far. I made some minor changes to the plugin though - I hid the Options menu, and modified the plugin to set the default values that I wanted for the blogs when the plugin is first activated.

It would be easy to link it to the Supporters plugin so that paid Supporters could store a year's worth of stats, but free blogs just got one month. I might do that when I finally get around to implementing the Supporters plugin.

20. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

a) would you release your changes?
    b) how about cached pages, i.e. in conjunction with wp-cache?

21. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

@amanzi: any chance to get your mod? OR maybe send it back to the developer so it can be incorporated into the original?

besides has anyone tried this plugin: http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/wibstats-statistics-for-wordpress-mu and has screenshots available?

Doesn't sound as if it would be using javascript so I guess its not really useful when it comes to cached pages...

22. rolandinsh
    Posted 14 years ago #

why You're not using Google Analytics and add automatically code to all posts with in Your /mu-plugins/:

add_action('wp_footer', 'your_google_stat_function');
    add_action('wp_head', 'your_google_stat_function2');
  23. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Because members can't see those stats. This thread is about stats in the backend for individual blog owners to be able to see.

24. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

I seem to remember something about you being able to assign different GA user accounts to see specific site data that you;re collecting but I'd have to dig for that.

I also seem to remember that you can't place two different GA codes on the same page but I;d have to go digging for that as well.

You'll have to forgive for for not researching this. Kind of a busy morning.

25. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

And there's a GA plugin over at the premium spot for tracking individual blogs as well as sitewide.

26. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

yeah, I got that premium plugin. still, stattpress is just the right size, runs locally on my box and offers exactly the kind of stats the average user needs. google analytics is overkill for an average user wanting to see how many visitors he had, while firestats, jsut has a very unusual and confusing way of displaying the stats.

the average users, is completely happy with a simple chart like stattpress offers and can't be bothered to get an external account, i.e. GA or wordpress or whatever to use an external tracking service...

27. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

I am not necessarily advocating the use of it over a stats plugin. :) I am pointing out to rolandinsh why people would want a stats plugin and *not* GA.

28. rolandinsh
    Posted 14 years ago #

@tdjcbe BTW you can put GA codes as much as You like :)

<script type="text/javascript">
    var gaJsHost = (("https:" == document.location.protocol) ? "https://ssl." : "http://www.");
    document.write(unescape("%3Cscript src=’" + gaJsHost + "google-analytics.com/ga.js’ type=’text/javascript’%3E%3C/script%3E"));
    </script>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var firstTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-xxxx-1");
    firstTracker._initData();
    firstTracker._trackPageview();
    var secondTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-xxxx-5");
    secondTracker._initData();
    secondTracker._trackPageview();
    </script>

@andrea_r : OK... for my WPMU I'm usig "cystats" http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/cystats/ works for my users

29. amanzi
    Posted 14 years ago #

@Ovidiu - the changes I made should be possible to anyone with even a small bit of PHP knowledge (I'm not a developer) and I wouldn't recommend copying my code because it could destroy your site and shut down your data center. But these are the changes I made anyway...

/*
        Updates:
         - Line 50: Commented out Options page
         - Line 2066: Created new function: iri_StatPress_Initial_Options()
         - Line 2093: Added new register_activation_hook
    */

Line 50:

//add_submenu_page(__FILE__, __('Options', 'statpress'), __('Options', 'statpress'), $mincap, __FILE__ . '&statpress_action=options', 'iriStatPressOptions');

Line 2066:

function iri_StatPress_Initial_Options()
      {
          update_option('statpress_collectloggeduser', 'checked');
          update_option('statpress_autodelete', '1 year');
          update_option('statpress_daysinoverviewgraph', '7');
          update_option('statpress_mincap', 'switch_themes');
          update_option('statpress_donotcollectspider', 'checked');
          update_option('statpress_autodelete_spider', '1 day');
      }

Line 2093:

register_activation_hook(__FILE__, 'iri_StatPress_Initial_Options');
  30. Ovidiu
    Posted 14 years ago #

wow. thx. taht got me started, though I made some changes:

1. I don't hide the options, but edited them so users are warned that they can't change the autodelete setting for the stats
    2. changed the part where the options are saved: the autodelete part is not saved :-) only if the logged in user is site_admin but users can change the other parts
    3. edited the statpress menu: took out the link to the spy users only see the rest I deemed ok for them but they could i.e. access the spy page manually and I am unsure what to comment out to prevent that.
    4. took out the search and update menus too

###edit###
    AND we should also keep in mind firestats uses only a couple of tables for all stats while statpress makes a new table for each blog.

About this Topic