The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Design theft. (15 posts)

1. barrybell
    Posted 17 years ago #

OK, I know this is a little off topic, but I have someone ripping off the design of my hub site. Anyone else ever had to deal with anything like this before?

The original is here: wurk

The rip is here: Sokablog

Spot any similarities?? ;o))

B

2. fugazzi
    Posted 17 years ago #

Very Nice

3. Farms
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yeh, it's a bit too close for comfort isn't it... you could always release it to everyone so they have no competitive advantage at all... or is that me just wanting a design as cool as that as you don't know! ;)

4. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

Barry, I feel ripping your design wholesale is not very etiquette as it is your hardwork. I think you can email the administrator to have it taken down.

But I have one request, can to share how you got the latest post to show "2 days, 5 hours ago"? Thanks!

5. barrybell
    Posted 17 years ago #

Farms... that's just you. ;o)

samchng... I'm using a hacked around version of kathmann's (?) script found here.

However, it's also tacked onto an aggregator that I've built on top of simplepie which pulls in and caches content from the whole wurk network (of which some of the blogs are independent from my install of WPMU) and displays it in that kind of 'timeline' thing I have going on there.

It wasn't that difficult to do. Honest.

6. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for the hint. ;)

Will work at it! Good luck to you getting that
    site to take your design off their site. Read the
    comments on your site. Pretty good advice there
    too!

7. barrybell
    Posted 17 years ago #

sam - did you email me about this a couple of days ago? I meant to reply, but i picked up the email while i was away for a few days, and only got back today.

B

8. samchng
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yeap I did and it was nice to see you on the forum here. Just right timing. :)

9. Forevagrey
    Posted 17 years ago #

Dear barrybell,

Sokablog was not at fault in any way with the creation of our websites previous layout. The Sokablog team was experimenting with different interfaces, and it just so happens that one we had been working with was very similar in nature to yours. However, there are some glaring differences you may not have noticed.

Experimenting with our layout for our own audience’s use is not a wrongdoing, and we do not appreciate the implications of your post.

We are currently working on a new design, so you can be assured that the design you have will stay your own.

We hope to work with you in the future under less hostile circumstances. If you wish to speak with us, reach me by my email.

Sunny C.
    Sunny22chan@gmail.com
    Co-Owner of Sokablog

10. barrybell
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hang on a sec, sunbeam. What I saw was someone lifting my code, without even bothering to change the 25 or so links that pointed straight back to my site. What I also saw was a paragraph or two of copy that had been ripped word-for-word from my site, although, to be fair, you had very kindly swapped out the name of my site for yours.

However, if you say that it all happened purely as a design coincidence (including those 25 or so links back to my site), then yep, I'm obviously completely and utterly wrong about the whole thing.

Please accept my most humble apologies.

Jeez.

;o))

11. kdesilva
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hey Barry, your site is pretty sweet - freeeelance any?

12. Forevagrey
    Posted 17 years ago #

I thank you apologies with delight.

And me and my partner are working around the clock to create a new one.

13. barrybell
    Posted 17 years ago #

*sigh*

(Oh, and kdesilva: yep I'm already a freelance. Drop me a line at barrybell@gmail.com if you want to talk anything through. Cheers. B)

14. thunderbrmu
    Posted 17 years ago #

Server info:
    Name:Thunder Br Mu
    Xp:2000
    Drop:100%
    Version:1.02D
    Chaos Machine:100%
    Jewels:100%
    BB:on
    Hot Spots:Davias castles, Stadium (Alot)
    Site and Reg: http://thunderbrmu.servebeer.com:8090
    Forum and Downloads: http://forums.cjb.net/tbrmu.html
    Have Fun!!

15. RaceDay
    Posted 17 years ago #

Barry--it has happened to me too in the past--everything down to a typo I made. Just took out my name--and inserted their name. Claimed it was a design coincidence. At least they are saying it is going to change soon, so the uniqueness shall remain yours. Mine, I had to mention my lawyer, and suddenly the change was made in less than an hour.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by barrybell
  • Latest reply from RaceDay