The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Web 2.0 AJAX / Style Educational MU Homepage (11 posts)

1. kennibc
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well, I had this old template sitting around and I hacked it up pretty severely. I can't remember who the original author was, but it had fish in it AQuaria??? Maybe. I only used the top portion of his theme with the menu buttons and would like to give credit.

I added Mootools to do a neat little "Slide Action" when you click on the "Pick a School" icon. I am also hoping to add some ajax page request to dynamically load some extra content into "DIV's" as I make some improvements.

Here is version 1 of what I hope will be a pretty cool theme once I really get going with it.

http://blog.dearbornschools.org

2. josephd
    Posted 15 years ago #

Oh it's nice, where can we get those lovely templates for home page?

3. demonicume
    Posted 15 years ago #

nice theme. are you bringing it up because youre gonna release it or sell it?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Quick look at the source shows the name of the original theme. :)

5. kennibc
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks Andrea. As I mentioned, I had downloaded the theme a year or so ago and then I had hacked it all up. There was some type of fish on it I believe and it had some bright orange in it.

In any event the homepage is created entirely via widgets. I am not sure this even follows proper theme building standards. It is definitely for your Main page only as using it on regular blogs would make for interesting results.

I am working on creating a theme completely from scratch. It will be geared for K-12 education and I am hopeful that the code will be more in line with wordpress theme standards.

I will try to post a screenshot of what I am working on and yes, I will release it free.

6. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Why do you keep teh spammy links at the bottom of your user themes. Those are usually the first thing I get rid of. Then I find the original theme author and credit him/her.

7. kennibc
    Posted 15 years ago #

I guess it is laziness or not enough time. I am a one person department and I service all staff members in 32 schools. That includes any training and support for all of our web tools: Wordpress MU, Moodle, Mahara, Joomla, PHPMotion Video Sharing, Gallery, and I have a wiki in the works to replace each school website. Eventually, I'd like to be able to force all of them to use a district or school website theme that I create. I am just now learning how to create themes.

Does anyone know of a good theme that is commented so you can learn from it?

8. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

I work with/learned from themes made by Brian Gardener. He has some nice freebies, but his premium ones are fantastic. I bought the dev pack, and I usually use one of his themes as a base to start off with.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

@kennibc - any simple free theme woudl do. I don't recommend learning off of the default theme Kubric though. Classic would be better.

@Klark - yeah he packs a lot in. I think they're decent.

10. kennibc
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks!
    Actually, that is what I did. I just downloaded one of the newer themes and I am now working on slicing up my html and pasting it into index,header, sidebar, single, etc. I should have something over the weekend hopefully.

11. kennibc
    Posted 15 years ago #

I got a new theme up and running. This one was entirely created by me, however I used a Style Sheet from another theme just so I could ensure I had all the basics elements of a theme covered. I will make a new post about it since this one is dead with the removal of the old theme that I just hacked up.

About this Topic