The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Custom URL for some blogs (6 posts)

1. hempsworth
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi all,

I know WPMU isn't intended for this, but for the High School website I'm working on WPMU will be the CMS, each department will have it's own blog and be able to manage its own pages and weblog.

However, I would also like the main site to be managed by WPMU as well, so the root 'blog' would manage all of the department-non-specific pages.

I would like a handful of blogs to be accessible from:
    /departments/history/

At the moment, they would have the URL:
    /history/

because WPMU is installed in the root. Is there a way I can make those blogs have the URL /departments/*

A .htaccess hack perhaps?

When I have tried changing the URL's manually from within the admin panel some very strange things start happening, and the blogs don't show up as expected - obviously not the route to go.

Any help would be much appreciated. The staff currently blogging love WordPress, so it would be great to give them WPMU.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. hempsworth
    Posted 15 years ago #

Anybody any ideas for this?
    I know its a weird ask, and not what WPMU is intended for, but the school staff want WordPress, and so do I! :P

3. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Maybe you should do SubDomains instead.

4. hempsworth
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hmm, although that is an option, the school has stipulated the specified URL structure - URLs are much easier to remember because the main site has such a long domain name.

Any ideas?

5. hempsworth
    Posted 15 years ago #

The domain mapping plugin allows complete changing of the URL of a blog, could some of that code perhaps be used for custom URL's of a blog within the same domain name?

6. Wuogger
    Posted 14 years ago #

Did this issue ever get solved? I have the same problem.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by hempsworth
  • Latest reply from Wuogger