The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to show all recent posts in the mu's home? (11 posts)

1. xdmx
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi, i've some blogs under wordpress mu, everything is working great, but i'd like to show in the homepage all the recent posts from every other blogs (like an aggregator, but with the possibility to still post in the home blog, and just in the homepage, the sub-blogs shouldn't be touched).
    How can i do something like this?

I've found this: http://www.strangework.com/2008/06/12/wordpress-mu-aggregator-plugin/
    But that require to edit every template, and the posts aren't shown as really posts. Would be better something which doesn't require any edit at the template and that the posts are shown as the same as the other blog's posts. Does it exist something like this? :)

Thanks

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

A quick search of the forums will show a number of previous discussions on your specific topic as well as a number of different ways of doing it.

3. xdmx
    Posted 15 years ago #

I've checked, but it seems that for all of them is needed to put a code into the template and there is nothing like a plugin that can be activated and show the posts like normal posts (and not just a list of titles) :(

4. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

use donncha's site wide tags plugin. It will copy the last 5000 posts to a blog or the main blog if you like.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"there is nothing like a plugin that can be activated and show the posts like normal posts "

pulling the sitewide feed to the front shows the posts too.

6. xdmx
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea_r:

i tried sitewide feed, but it make a global rss feed. Not a normal html page as same as the blog posts :(

@klarko:

that plugin show just the tags, not the posts :(

Actually i've found feedwordpress, which should be the one i'm searching, but it works over the feeds, so everytime it asks all the other blogs for new posts. As WPMU have all the blogs in the db it would be better using directly that... Do you know something like that ? :(

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

You then have to take that feed and *parse it* (re: HTML-ize) to show up where you want in your page. An example of how to parse a feed is on the dashboard page. Read how it’s done and follow along in that file. (wp-admin/index.php and index-extra.php)

And if you wanted to use feedwordpress to repopulate the main blog with all the blog posts, you'd *still* need the sitewide feed to work from.

8. xdmx
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok, i'll try... thanks :)

9. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

@xdmx "that plugin show just the tags, not the posts" - wrong

Donncha's plugin creates a blog(or complements main blog) that collects every post in your site, posts, tags, categories, all. Post show up in blog alongside other posts and can be managed/edited in the same way. Post permalinks point back to the member blog, though. That blog can then be used as the sitewide feed/aggregator for purposes you describe.

10. xdmx
    Posted 15 years ago #

@dsader:

mea culpa, i just read the summary which is:

"This plugin creates a new blog on your WordPress MU system for all the posts on your site, much like http://wordpress.com/tags/"

I see that page on wordpress and i thought that was the result, without trying the plugin by myself.

I've tried it, and it's perfect :)

Just one thing, the limit is at X post, is it a "rotate way"? I mean, when the limit is reached, the older is deleted and the newer is saved, right?

11. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

Oldest move out, to make room for newest to move in. However, I've not seen 5000 posts in my install. (it would take years!)

About this Topic