The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Converting Wordpress to Wordpress MU (6 posts)

1. Cisneiros
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey people!

I was searching the internet, and I didn't find an answer. Is there any way/special instruction to convert a regular Wordpress Blog to the a blog on a MU instalation?

Thnaks ;)

2. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Nothing special when "converting". If the current Wordpress install is in the root, then just back it up, install MU in it's place (in a new DB), then restore the backup file you made to the main blog (blog id=1)

You can even use the same theme you were using before and just incorporate MU functions into it.

3. Cisneiros
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hm... ok.

Thanks! ;)

4. jamesinealing
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've just Googled and found this thread, which seem to be exactly what I am after. Is it really that simple? Do you delete *all* Wordpress files first before uploading MU, or is it just like a 'normal' pre-2.7 upgrade where you simply overwrite what is there? I'm just wondering how it goes about handling the transition with plugins, themes etc?

Thanks, James

5. jamesinealing
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ah, and one further thing I have just realised which complicates things is that I want to rename the subdirectory that my WP installation is in from a specific name of the single blog to a general name such as /blogs - is that easily done?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

It's a complete reinstall.

And rename that subfolder before you install.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by Cisneiros
  • Latest reply from andrea_r