The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installation is fine, but structure is not (10 posts)

1. gofree
    Posted 15 years ago #

I got mine running, but when I click on on of the blog I have just test created, it won't work.

Here: http://news.defensive-pro.com

Is this anything to deal with .htaccess?

Thanks

2. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

A readme file came with your download. You need to follow all the steps specifically the DNS wildcard and Apache requirements.

3. gofree
    Posted 15 years ago #

Isn't the installation process including this? Will I have to do sth with my domain registrar?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

The installation script can't edit Apache for you or tweak your server.

5. gofree
    Posted 15 years ago #

Can you show some simple steps as it a bit advanced for me to read from the doc?

I will also send you the login detail if you are interested to help.

6. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

If you don't have the patience to learn this stuff, then maybe MU isn't for you.

You need to at least know how to do the steps in the readme if you plan on maintaining the site as well. MU ain't as easy as regular Wordpress.

Either that or hire someone to install for you. But then it still comes down to who will maintain for you ?

7. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

@Klark0: I was going to write something similar, but held off for once. Besides which lunabyte usually has a much more creative turn of phrase for these type of responses :)

@gofree: Quite simply, once you have your site up and running (if you do it yourself or get someone to install for you), then you are responsible for providing your users with a service.

What are you going to do when it comes to upgrades or support questions? You either need to take the time to learn this stuff (even just to a level or knowing the basics) or get someone on call to do it for you.

8. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

haha..I was gonna hold off for lunabyte too :D

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Have you tried asking your host to enable wildcard subdomains?

And you could send me your login, but I'd be sending a bill. :D

10. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Lunabyte already has:

Is MU for me?

About this Topic