The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

All blog subpages are gone after upgrade (18 posts)

1. kompol
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello there, this is not the first time I upgraded my both WPMU's. After the last upgrade from version 2.5.1 to the latest version there are in one wpmu all blog subpages gone and in the other the whole sub blogs. What works still well is only the admin of both WPMU's.

Here the error message wich I get when I want browse any subpage respective sub blog:

Not Found

The requested URL /2008/10/04/xxx-yyyy-zzzz-kkkk-llpoi/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Please, is there anybody who can help me with this problem? Any useful hint is more then welcome, I am at the end with my knowledge.

Regards,
    kompol.

2. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

They changed status from Page to Post. They are still there, but now you'll find them in the date archives of the Posts.

You'll have to find them in the db and change one of the fields so it shows that it's a page.

(Can't remember offhand, I just know it was an issues with some people - including ME - on single WP installs. That was fun to fix.)

3. kompol
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am very happy that you know about this error and give me this advice. I am just a user with dangerous superficial knowledge.

Did I undestud this right?

I have to go to the post tables in the mysql database and edit each post of each blog for change one of the fields?

And you don't remember wich field that was?

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yep, pretty much.

5. kompol
    Posted 15 years ago #

I edited a blogpost in the mysql database table. There is the post_type asked but it is set already on post.

is it this what you meant?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah I think that's the one. Might have to be set to page.

Make a new page in the backend, then find it in the db and compare it. Should be obvious then.

7. kompol
    Posted 15 years ago #

no, even if I changed the "post" to "page" for this field, the subpages are still not avaliable. With new blogposts the same result. By the way, I mean all blog sub pages are gone the category-, archive-, and postpages.

Is it possible that it is something more fundamental wrong in this case?

8. kompol
    Posted 15 years ago #

I found something what maybe is relevant. The wp_123_postmeta tables are empty, is that normal?

9. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

ahhhh.. you mean the *permalink*? Because that's different. I thought you meant Pages, like an About page.

10. kompol
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, when I click on any link on the blog index page wich goes in the system like category- or archive- or single blogpost pages I get this message:

Not Found

The requested URL /2008/10/04/xxx-yyyy-zzzz-kkkk-llpoi/ was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

But all the posts I can see still in the database and I can browse the blog index page as normal.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Check and see if your htaccess file is still there. No, I don;t need to see the contents of it. Maybe you deleted it when you upgraded?

12. kompol
    Posted 15 years ago #

my htaccess.dist is still there.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's because it's a *distribution* file. It does nothing. All it is used for is to build the initial htaccess file on install.

That file, the htacces file you need, the one that controls permalinks, is a hidden file on many systems, because it *starts* with a . and has no extension.

You need to find a file that says .htaccess . If you don't see one, turn on "show hidden files" in whatever you're using. if that option is not there (via ssh for example,) and you *still* can't find that file, then there's your problem.

14. kompol
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, you are right the .htaccess file don't exists anymore. Oh, oh what I do now? Is there a way how I can rescue the WPMU or do I have to delete it?

15. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Take the htaccess.dist, make a copy of it and call it.htaccess, BUT you also have the change the line that says Rewrite BASE = BASE to rewrite BASE = "/"

16. kompol
    Posted 15 years ago #

In the htaccess.dist the line was already on Rewrite Base/. When I change it to .htaccess and load it up I get a Internal Server Error.

What do you think about that? I would make a database backup and install the whole WPMU new on my server. Then I would load the old database in the new installation. Do you think that this will work?

17. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

You misunderstood what I said.

Rewrite Base/ needs to be RewriteBase /

See the space in there?

18. kompol
    Posted 15 years ago #

All this not work, there went something very wrong during the upgrade process. I decided to install the whole WPMU again. Thank you very much for your time and help.

Best Regards,
    kompol.

About this Topic