The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Link to user profile? (8 posts)

1. sgrunt
    Posted 15 years ago #

I hope this is not a stupid question: when a user registers into MU he compiles his profile fields (name, etc...).

but how the other users can view profiles? I've tried 5-6 different themes, but when an user put a comment his name is not linked to nothing, even if he has filled the Url field.

And so i can't understand: users fill profile fields that nobody can view? It is possible to reach profiles?

2. sgrunt
    Posted 15 years ago #

maybe i should be more clear: in all the themes i've tried, in the comments.php page there is this line:

<cite><?php comment_author_link() ?></cite> Says:

but the line has no links in it, and so i don't know how to click commenter's name to see his profile, actually the names are not clickable

3. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Have you tried creating some posts/pages and then clicking on authors name/nickname?

4. sgrunt
    Posted 15 years ago #

actually i create a page for each blog owner. But commenters are not blog owners, they are commonly registered users and so they have not their own page.

I can't understand why there are not profile pages in MU, since user fill some fields (name, aim, etc..) when they register...but nobody can't see them.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

You need the right template tags in the template to show that information.
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags#Author_tags

And that comment_author_link only grabs the URL of the commentor *if they filled it in*.

There are no built in profile pages because WP & WPMU are both blogging software, not social networks.

If that's what you're looking for, check out buddypress: http://buddypress.org

6. sgrunt
    Posted 15 years ago #

thanx Andrea, but i've a problem: i've tried to fill the website field in the form, but the commenter is still not linked. In my localhost installation the links work, but online...commenters (with website filled) aren't linked.

I'd like so much to use Buddypress, but i've tried 2 times and it always give me errors. However this is the template code:

<?php foreach ($comments as $comment) : ?>

<li class="<?php echo $oddcomment; ?>" id="comment-<?php comment_ID() ?>">
    <cite><?php comment_author_link() ?></cite> dice:
    <?php if ($comment->comment_approved == '0') : ?>
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    <?php endif; ?>

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"In my localhost installation the links work, but online...commenters (with website filled) aren't linked."

Any differecnes between the local isntall and the online one?
    What plugins are runnign?
    what theme are you using?
    Got a link so I can leave a comment and try myself?

8. sgrunt
    Posted 15 years ago #

you are really a nice person.
    In this comments you can see the user Betlem: he has a website, i've just re-checked, but he is not linked.

http://wikiroma.it/dontpushme/2008/09/23/nobel-finalmente-arancini/

the theme is the same on my installation local and remote, and the plugin i use are site wide tags and wpmufeed, gravatar mu, and recent comments are hardcoded into the theme.

all plugin are running both locally and remotely.

About this Topic