The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Redirect loop when logging on after a blog is created (50 posts)

1. MAVIC
    Posted 15 years ago #

Same issue here. 2.7 new install on a server that supports WP just fine. I logged in, created a new user. Logged out, logged in with new user and got the loop. I tried another browser and another computer. Same issue.

I tried the original user and it worked fine, but the new user cannot login without too many redirects.

2. Hickeroar
    Posted 15 years ago #

New install of 2.7 here. Had the problem. Clearing all my cookies also worked for me.

3. davethom
    Posted 15 years ago #

this is what worked for me

Wordpress-mu gives the server redirect loop on plesk vhosts wheninstalled in a sub-directory _unless_ you “chmod -R apache” on the install sub-directory. Another evening spent in front of a computer!

4. ccano
    Posted 15 years ago #

Clearing my browser's cookies worked for me as well.

5. webchilly
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hii Can any body help me installing Wordpress MU? Call me on +1-505-404-6627 / SKYPE: anirajkumar.

A.Niraj Kumar
    http://www.anirajkumar.com

6. SteveAtty
    Posted 15 years ago #

Why not post your problems here?

I assume you have done a good search across the forums to see if you problems have been answered elsewhere.

If not then asking here means you get the input from a lot of people who really can help and it also helps those who may have the same problems in the future

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

8. ColaTM
    Posted 15 years ago #

Junk

9. jugularbean
    Posted 14 years ago #

I've tried everything posted here. But am still unable to solve the problem. I'm on mediatemple dv hosting.

10. THLopes
    Posted 14 years ago #

Cleaning the cache and cookies of the browser solved for me.

Notice that I already had put the DEFINE code tip mentioned on the begining

11. K3rM1t
    Posted 14 years ago #

We had the same issue on our site.
    All new blogs created by non-site admin users would loop when accessing wp-admin. None of the above solutions helped. After digging through the db, code and some debugging info we found that in the wp_<site_id>_options table the wp_<site_id>_user_roles option was getting set incorrectly. The Administrator role was missing all capabilities. The root cause was a plugin which was setting hooks too early. After ensuring the plugin was hooking in at the appropriate place, this problem was resolved.

If you find a bad plugin, make sure it isn't inserting itself too soon.

12. jeff5311
    Posted 14 years ago #

hmmmm... i had this issue and realized the link in the theme i was using had a missing trailing slash "/" to the Dashboard. The link in your theme should be:

http://www.example.com/wp-admin/ (notice the "/" at the end)

i'm sure this is an .htaccess error that i could fix, but changing the link to the admin console in the theme fixed the issue.

try accessing your dashboard via "http://www.example.com/wp-admin" (without the trailing slash) and "http://www.example.com/wp-admin/" (with the trailing slash) to re-create it.

13. Shurley
    Posted 14 years ago #

Try adding this into wp-config.php

define('ADMIN_COOKIE_PATH', '/');
    define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
    define('COOKIEPATH', '');
    define('SITECOOKIEPATH', '');

Thanks VentureMaker! That helped me out.

14. TracyReaderDad
    Posted 14 years ago #

OK, yesterday I started to move one of my blogs to Yahoo using WP. I have more than one issue, but, the REDIRECT LOOP seems to be appropriate for this discussion.

I am not a power programmer, so my questions may seem elementary..and I may need a bit more coaching.

1. Where do I find wp-config.php? I will try to put in the code mentioned above in it, but, I do not know where to look.

2. Can I put it anywhere, or will the placement be apparent when I see the code?

You can see the issue at http://TracyReaderDad.com Then click on one of the "Authors" in the left column...that is when the "REDIRECT LOOP" issue pops up.

Thanks ahead of time...

15. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

wp-config.php is located in the top most directory of your wordpress installation. (Likely /public_html/ if you are using a web host).

You can put the define() commands anywhere in that file, so long as they are complete.

16. TracyReaderDad
    Posted 14 years ago #

Ah...thanks, now I know where that is. :-)

UPDATE: I did an "automatic re-install" and now it appears to be working! I'll keep banging on it to see when / if it fails again.

Should I put the defines in even though it is working now? Will they hurt? Are they needed?

Thanks again!

Mike

17. tim.moore
    Posted 14 years ago #

They aren't needed, but it won't hurt anything to have them there.

18. TracyReaderDad
    Posted 14 years ago #

Almost immediately after re-installing 2.8.4 automatically, the REDIRET came back. It worked great, then when I went back in...gone.

I then put in the code:

define('ADMIN_COOKIE_PATH', '/');
    define('COOKIE_DOMAIN', '');
    define('COOKIEPATH', '');
    define('SITECOOKIEPATH', '');

Still not working!

Not sure what to try next...

Thankfully, my Wordpress.com blogs are still active and working great.

19. TracyReaderDad
    Posted 14 years ago #

One more item: I disabled all my plug-ins and have cleared my cache and cookies many times.

20. TracyReaderDad
    Posted 14 years ago #

I lied..one more thing before the weekend:

The link to an "Author" is given as:

http://tracyreaderdad.com/blog/category/barry-eisler/

There is a "blog" folder, but, within that there is no "category" folder.

Could that be the cause?

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by lnuxguy
  • Latest reply from TracyReaderDad