The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

need a little help with CSS (15 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

playing around with this layout: http://zice.ro/
    trying to position the Z on the left side, so it does not push the 'blue' box down, but floats above it so the bottom-right corner of the bubble points straight to the 'C' from 'Cea'

tried floating it, but still pushes the other content down.

can anyone lend me a little help achieving this?

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

or I could completely skip the left logo?
    not sure, could need some competent opinions here :-)

besides, I haven't touched any colors yet, and even the colors of the logo aren't final. Jsut playing around with the positions and sizes for now.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Add position:fixed; to #logo_left and it jumps around to where you want it. The z-indez isn't making a difference.

Tip: make the log with a transparent background too.

Another tip: get FireBug for FireFox. Took me maybe two minutes, tops, to find it and test it.

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

- I tried the z-index thinggy to try and let it float OVER other elements, seems I was wrong
    - background will be transparent soon :-) was concentrating on the positioning ;-)
    - using firebug, that's what I use to play around before committing settings

thx a lot andrea :-) but I can't use position fixed as for logged in users there is an admin bar on above the site so I can't use fixed. as the distance fro mteh top differs :-(

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

@andrea:

I am halfway there, looks cool now in FF but still some IE6 probs. I changed the admin bar behaviour to permanently stay there even for logged out users, but the positioning is still bad.

any hints for me other than some special IE hacks?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do you know for sure you'll have a significant number of IE6 users?

If so, just pull in the if-IE6 stylesheet with the changes there.

If not, drop the support. :D

7. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

This probably wont help you but I remember I had problems with IE7 and IE& padding. I found few articles that have helped me. Sorry, I don't have those links any more but this is what I did to set padding for lft column:

#leftcol {
    	margin:0px;
    	.padding-bottom:10px; /* IE7 Fix */
    	_padding-bottom:4px; /*	IE6 Fix */
    	min-height:398px;
    	float:left;
    	}

So, try using . in front CSS for IE7 and _ in front CSS for IE6 and if it works please reply to these two posts:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=9923

;)

8. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah, padding and margins and container width are added up in a completely odd way in IE.

I just tend to do a browser check and include IE-specific stylesheets if needed. Worked more consistently than hacks.

9. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Recently I did a job for a client. I went to his place and said "Do you want to see it on your computer?". That was a mistake. He had IE6 installed. His 15" monitor didn't do any good either. I guess I'll have to buy a laptop for all the future presentations.

10. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

haha, funny story the client presentation :-)

I'll try and work with your suggestions guys, thanks.

11. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

And don't forget to read my first post... especially it's end:)

12. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

One time I did this layout for someone in WP to match the rest of their site in Drupal. Took a couple hours, no biggee.

Then I looked in IE.

Then I cried.

IE7 took a couple more hours, IE6 took a couple more on top of that.

Now I always double-check in multiple browsers along the way. this place is handy if you don;t have a windows box:
    http://ipinfo.info/netrenderer/index.php

13. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks a lot for that link andrea

14. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Dunno what I'd do without it actually. I only have one windows computer left in the house out of 4. (and it usually has a teenage girl sitting in front of it, so it's like pulling teeth to get at it)

15. boonika
    Posted 15 years ago #

I do know what I'll do with it actually. I only have one windows computer - period:)

30 years old boy who's sitting in front of it should go to bed now but there's no mummy to make him do it:)

About this Topic