The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

AdSense and Themes (14 posts)

1. keeperbay
    Posted 15 years ago #

What is it with people and their freaking themes!

I have 2 ladies who want to move to my blogs, however they must move their themes with them.
    Ok, whatever, I’ll upload them, no problem. Nope, they are the only people who can use their themes, their themes are some how special to them and they don’t want anyone else to touch them. Talk about unable to share with the others! So is there a Selfish Theme Plugin? Because I’ve searched and I did’t find one - Major Eye Rolling!
    This site is a monument to “No Good Deed Ever Goes Unpunished”

Next, since I am creating a free site for these pissy ladies, I was wondering if there is a way to put MY AdSense code at the bottom of each template or and this I would love more then any other, make adsense appear on the bottom of each of their posts. So when they blog, they don’t see it, BUT when people few there blogs the last line is Google AdSense, preferably mine! And I would like them unable to disable it.

2. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

aaah ..pleasing users! :D

I tend to "flex" with folks who want to migrate. You can upload the theme, but don't activate it. Then Go to the Site Admin>Blogs and click Edit and just tick off the unactivated themes you want to make available to them.

For adsense, just place your code in the themes directly. They'll be unable to edit the themes.

3. keeperbay
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thank you I'll get them uploaded tonight.

As for the adsense. I haven't started playing around with themes yet. Is there a good tutorial? Something along the lines of "WPMU Theme Creation For Dummies" Or "The Basics of Messing with Your Members Themes"

Seriously, any tutorial would be great. Thank you for your help. I'll go mess with my members now.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Pretty much same as regular wordpress themes. Testing as you install each one is a very good idea. Here's a thread that covers some basics on what to look for:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=9419

You may want to scan the Theme subforum for more discussion.

And we charge ten bucks a year for custom theme installs due to time involved, testing for compatibility as well as security, and specialized attention. ;)

5. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

I usually include Google ads and analytics code into footer.php of each theme. Works for me :) But I don't have a lot of themes, so I can do all that manually.

6. keeperbay
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have about 100 themes right now, but it will be worth the time. These ladies are pretty dedicated and are drawing customers to the blog sites where they are now. The ladies I'm pissing about are not in their group - I should clarify in case they ever find this site! lol.

There is a book called "WordPress for Dummies" now I'm assuming that would help my users. Would that book also help them/me create templates?

tdjcbe, "custom theme installs?" Not sure what you mean. Do you mean to my site? Or to be added to the WordPress site as a download theme?

Thank you all for your help.
    This is moving along much faster than I had ever hoped.

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Not sure what you mean.

That's what you did. You installed a theme just for those clients and only to be used by those clients. It's custum work you did by installing a theme.

8. keeperbay
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm so close and yet so far away.
    I figured it was an easy case of open file, input table and code, save and upload.

However, I am using eshop. And they have a little link at the bottom that reads "Powered By eShop v2." Which goes right through the middle of my AdSense. I am going to sniff out the eshop thread now.

9. keeperbay
    Posted 15 years ago #

Klark0, you said "For adsense, just place your code in the themes directly."

I was going to put my adsense in the footer.php, but as I look at it, I want it at the bottom of every page. Can't do it by "posts" because - I think at least - it would show up as many times as that post went on. If there are 5 posts in a category then there would be 5 posts one after the other - then I'm guessing 5 adsense units - correct?

But if I put my adsenes code in the PAGE then it would be at the bottom of each PAGE - correct?

Just to make sure I have all this correct, in all 3 cases either putting my adsense code in the footer, in the POST or in the PAGE I would put my adsense code in the template and not in the the site files - correct?

10. keeperbay
    Posted 15 years ago #

Klark0, you said "For adsense, just place your code in the themes directly."

I was going to put my adsense in the footer.php, but as I look at it, I want it at the bottom of every page. Can't do it by "posts" because - I think at least - it would show up as many times as that post went on. If there are 5 posts in a category then there would be 5 posts one after the other - then I'm guessing 5 adsense units - correct?

But if I put my adsenes code in the PAGE then it would be at the bottom of each PAGE - correct?

Just to make sure I have all this correct, in all 3 cases either putting my adsense code in the footer, in the POST or in the PAGE I would put my adsense code in the template and not in the the site files - correct?

11. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes, in the theme's template.

12. keeperbay
    Posted 15 years ago #

Let me see if I can stump you.
    I want to put a scrolling ticker at the top of every page. Same ticker, same information. Is there anyway to put the ticker on the top of wordpress without having to add the code to every template?

13. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah, look at the mu-admin bar plugin to see how they hooked in the wp_footer.

yeah it says footer, but you can get it to place at the top. There's all kinds of other hooks in a regualr template you can use to auto-stuff content in.

14. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah, look at the mu-admin bar plugin to see how they hooked in the wp_footer.

Also good for sitewide adverts and announcements.

15. keeperbay
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is there anything you guys don't know? You are all amazing! Thank you so much.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by keeperbay
  • Latest reply from keeperbay