The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Post By Email (9 posts)

1. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have post by email working with WPMU just fine, posts are automatically being posted, but they are not finding the default category. Instead, wpmu is creating a new category called "1", where posts are being filed. Any ideas on what might be going on here?

Cheers

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Noticed that too some time ago. Not sure if this still occurs in 2.6.2 version

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

What version of wpmu are you running? (It's a good idea to always include that. Friendly reminder about the debugging page.) There was a bug with this awhile back but it was resolved I believe.

edit: Wasn't the importer doing this? I can't find the ticket or the threads where we discussed this.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Some plugins may interfere too.

5. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm using 2.6, and I seem to have fixed the original issue. I was posting from an email address that was not assigned to my username in the admin, so after changing the email that seemed to fix the problem. I now am posting to the right category, but the post appears 5 times!

Interesting that in WPMU ther are two fields that ask for the default category to post, one just under the mailserver info "defualt category" and one farther down the admin panel "default email category". I've used the same category number in each and am not sure if this might be the issue or not.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

2.6?

Or 2.6.2, which is the current release.

7. scotm
    Posted 15 years ago #

It's 2.6...

Anyhoo, the multiple postings issue seems to have been a one-time thing. After a few more tests my post to email on wpmu is working ticketyboo...

Thanks!

8. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

I edited this out by mistake from my post.

+1 for working out how to do posting by email. :)

9. grfxboy
    Posted 14 years ago #

So, how did you all get it set up at all? I have searched the forums and have only read that people have set up posts by email, but not how they did it. And I'm not even sure if any of it applies to 2.8.1.

Here's what I have gathered:
    1. enable the code
    2. set up POP email for each blog
    3. set a CRON job to check the POP accounts periodically to see if posts are there so that they will get posted

But how do I do this? Do any of you know of a tutorial? Would you like to write a quick one?

Thanks.

About this Topic