The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sitewide Tags (50 posts)

1. sskhalsa
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is the feature to show tags from all blogs in wPMU available yet?

regards,

sskhalsa

2. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I too would be very interested in this.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nope.

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I tried to work in some method myself by setting up a seperate regular WordPress blog and importing the SiteWide feed directly into that but with didn't get too far with it.

Friendly reminder that this being an Open Source project, it's customary that if you want a feature bad enough, you get to code it yourself. :)

5. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I thought that someone had figured out a way to get Ultimate Tag Warrior to integrate with this?

6. Misera
    Posted 17 years ago #

;) If you figure out a way to get it to work properly without errors, do let us know. I tried and failed horribly :D. Some other people on the forums have gotten pretty far but I haven't seen it perfect..

7. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

folks, I haven't come up with the code myself, but in a seperate thread drmike pointed out that the correct strategy might be:

1) Install WPMU Feed and generate an RSS feed pulling from all blogs

2) Use a RSS to Post plugin that imports...well...RSS to posts.

3) Take that data and and perhaps install Ultimate Tag Warrior to generate the tags but hide the actual posts? (I don't really have a good working knowledge of how UTW works at this point)

In any case...here is a plugin that apparently takes RSS feeds and turns them into posts: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/54125?replies=2

Feedwordpress is the name of the game, and though it doesn't import from blogger posts, I think it does for WP 2.0+. Any takers?

8. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

EDIT: from the feedwordpress Site at http://projects.radgeek.com/feedwordpress/install:

Requirements

To use version 0.98 of FeedWordPress, you will need:

1) an installed configured copy of WordPress 2.0.x pr 1.5.x. (It won’t work with WP 1.2 or WP MU development builds.)
    2) FTP or SFTP access to your web host

Damn. Well maybe someone here can hack the plugin to make it compatible? I was going to try it on my WPMU install but I have bloggers on there now...need to look into getting a test install up and running somewhere!

9. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

update

I now have my sitewide feed displaying inline on a page using the Feedlist plugin available from here: http://rawlinson.us/blog/index.php?p=212

If you would like to see what this looks like on my testing page checkout home.hadithuna.com.

I don't know if this can be converted now into posts, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard?

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Anyone else why he spammed these posts like crazy?

11. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

my apologies dr.mike, my impression about these threads is that people subscribe to some but not all.

my goal was not to spam, but rather to gain exposure in support of reaching a viable solution to this feature.

If anyone else was offended, my apologies.

12. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually, many of the regualrs look at the main page and while logged in, it tells us all about the new posts, right at the top. In bold. :)

13. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

so noted. :)

14. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

There's other pages? :)

It is being discussed in one of the other threads today. I think we might have found at least a partial solution.

15. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Dang, that sucked.

5 hours and wound up only have to change one line within WP code.

*grumble*

I'll see if I can do a write up within one of the next few days on this. Gotta catch up on the other stuff i have to do today.

16. Misera
    Posted 17 years ago #

*cheers drmike on* :D you are much appreciated lol

17. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm going to add it into the wiki since I've got to work this through my head while I do it.

*chuckle* Now I've just got to get my folks to post more.

18. alliancepro
    Posted 17 years ago #

so finaly it's done !! realy good work drmike but how you have did it ?? sorry for my poor english :( " i want to learn it but i dont have much time "

19. Zoola
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello drmike,

From this thread it looks like you figured out how to create global tags in wpmu, is that right, I see its setup on daria.be - is that your site (Im new here)...

Id be grateful if you could tell us how to do it, or if you already have, where is the link. You mentioned above its just 1 code line change? Is that right? Will that also give us the tag cloude etc as well. Thanks

20. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

daria.be is mine. Just been a tad behind as it's requires a fairly detailed setup. It's on my todo list along with about 65 other items.

21. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike, that's really great to finally see something working on the sitewide tags front. It adds a nice community feel to your site! I can't wait for your instructions, and am happy to have been a part of this initiative. :)

22. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike, has your schedule freed up any? If you could get me going down the right track I may be able to figure it out on my own. (i.e., what combination of plugins you used to get it to work)

If you are busy then I hate to be a pest, ping me back when you get the chance!

Thanks for all your help.

23. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Maybe we can get a hint of how this was accomplished?

Yet, given the quantity of other tasks Mike has on, I think it unfair we expect a full breakdown of what's needed to get feedwordpress working on wpmu.

These are the errors I get:

Warning: require_once(/home/.../wp-includes/rss-functions.php) [function.require-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /home/.../wp-content/mu-plugins/feedwordpress.php on line 41

Fatal error: require_once() [function.require]: Failed opening required '/home/.../wp-includes/rss-functions.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/php5/lib/php') in /home/.../wp-content/mu-plugins/feedwordpress.php on line 41

24. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

replace the line pointing to rss.functions.php to "rss.php" and tell me where u get

25. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok, I changed rss-functions.php to rss.php and registration-functions.php to registration.php: the error went away.

Step 3 of http://projects.radgeek.com/feedwordpress/install/ for new installs: "Log in to the WordPress Dashboard and activate the FeedWordPress plugin. Go to Options –> Syndication to set up initial settings for the syndication link category (”Contributors”) by default and the RPC secret word (blank by default, but you should probably set it to something.)"

But Options->Syndication does not exist.

I installed into mu-plugins.

M.

26. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

The instructions also give another entry point... calling http://.../wp-content/update-feeds.php ...

update-feeds: make FeedWordPress check for new syndicated content

WordPress database error: [Table 'db.wp_1_linkcategories' doesn't exist]
    SELECT cat_id FROM wp_1_linkcategories WHERE cat_name='Contributors'

WordPress database error: [Table 'db.wp_1_linkcategories' doesn't exist]
    INSERT INTO wp_1_linkcategories SET cat_id = 0, cat_name='Contributors', show_images='N', show_description='N', show_rating='N', show_updated='N', sort_order='name'

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ORDER BY link_name' at line 1]
    SELECT * FROM wp_1_links WHERE link_visible = 'Y' AND link_category = ORDER BY link_name

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=1183&replies=4 says:

I think the linkcategories table has been dropped because link categories are now stored in the same table as post categories. But obviously there is still code referencing the old structure.

Yet:

[crack]$ grep linkcategories mu-plugins/*.php

mu-plugins/feedwordpress.php: $results = $wpdb->get_results("SELECT cat_id, cat_name, auto_toggle FROM $wpdb->linkcategories ORDER BY cat_id");
    mu-plugins/feedwordpress.php: SELECT cat_id FROM $wpdb->linkcategories
    mu-plugins/feedwordpress.php: INSERT INTO $wpdb->linkcategories
    mu-plugins/feedwordpress.php: SELECT cat_name FROM $wpdb->linkcategories
    [crack]$

And indeed http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=1878&replies=20#post-11116 says:

Should linkcategories have been dropped in the upgrade.

Its too early for me to say whether this broke because it circumvented encapsulation (http://codex.wordpress.org/Function_Reference/wpdb_Class#get_var_-_SELECT_a_Variable says "Performed in WordPress by get_linkcatname()")

Going back to:

I think the linkcategories table has been dropped because link categories are now stored in the same table as post categories. But obviously there is still code referencing the old structure.

Initially I thought this meant the code was supposed to use post2cat instead of linkcategories. The error messages I tried made it blatent that the fields it was looking for were not in post2cat. Finally I told it to use categories instead of linkcategories it got further but finally I got this error message:

WordPress database error: [Unknown column 'show_images' in 'field list']
    INSERT INTO wp_1_categories SET cat_id = 0, cat_name='Contributors', show_images='N', show_description='N', show_rating='N', show_updated='N', sort_order='name'

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'ORDER BY link_name' at line 1]
    SELECT * FROM wp_1_links WHERE link_visible = 'Y' AND link_category = ORDER BY link_name

I've checked through all the tables. None of them have a field 'show_images'.

Given drmike said on 27 August 2006:

5 hours and wound up only have to change one line within WP code.

I really think I have tried, and that I am communicating the process by which I am trying to resolve the answer. Any further hints will be much appreciated.

Thanks, M.

27. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

When I installed it into plugins instead of mu-plugins, it shows as activatable for my account. Once activated it does not appear in Options.

28. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Can someone please tell me how I might go about debugging this?

29. kaos
    Posted 17 years ago #

To get Syndication menus showing, it has to do with the version check around line 47. Try replacing it with this:

// Is this being loaded from within WordPress 1.5 or later?
    if (isset($wp_version) and ($wp_version >= 1.5) || (isset($wp_version) && $wp_version == "wordpress-mu-1.0")):

What I'd really like to know from the plugin author is if there's something in particular that doesn't work, or if it's just a case of it not working out of the box.

30. kaos
    Posted 17 years ago #

linkcategories have definitely been merged with post categories. It seems that those show_image settings have been moved from the category level to the links themselves - which makes more sense.

WordPress database error: [Table 'bloggers.wp_1_linkcategories' doesn't exist]
    SELECT cat_id FROM wp_1_linkcategories WHERE cat_name='Contributors'

INSERT INTO wp_1_linkcategories SET cat_id = 0, cat_name='Contributors', show_images='N', show_description='N', show_rating='N', show_updated='N', sort_order='name'

SELECT cat_id, cat_name, auto_toggle FROM wp_1_linkcategories ORDER BY cat_id

About this Topic