The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Sitewide Tags (50 posts)

1. kaos
    Posted 17 years ago #

To get rid of those errors, replace any mention of linkcategories with categories. You'll have to edit a couple of the SQL queries that try to retrieve show_images and other WP fields. All that's really needed is the cat_id and cat_name.

2. kaos
    Posted 17 years ago #

The last step, for me at least on the backend (haven't done an update-feeds yet) was actually using the included rss-functions.php as it includes the Snoopy classes. This may exist elsewhere in Wordpress, but this alternative seemed simple enough.

3. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi Kaos, thanks for the follow-up. I was feeling I was really out on a limb :)

> You'll have to edit a couple of the SQL queries that try to retrieve show_images and other WP fields. All that's really needed is the cat_id and cat_name.

So did you erase mentions these fields?

Can you please post a diff?

Thanks a lot, Martin.

4. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

http://projects.radgeek.com/feedwordpress/basic-concepts/ mentions Links->Syndicated. Do you see this?

5. kaos
    Posted 17 years ago #

Blogroll->Syndicated works. Here's the diff, it's a little weird in WinMerge's format, but its pretty straightforward. If I had a bit more time I'd make a patch that allows it to check for any wpmu version and uses a different query for MU rather than completely replacing the existing query.

44c44
    < require_once (ABSPATH . WPINC . '/registration.php');
    ---
    > require_once (ABSPATH . WPINC . '/registration-functions.php');
    48c48
    < if (isset($wp_version) and ($wp_version >= 1.5) || (isset($wp_version) && $wp_version == "wordpress-mu-1.0")):
    ---
    > if (isset($wp_version) and $wp_version >= 1.5):
    395,397c395
    < // $results = $wpdb->get_results("SELECT cat_id, cat_name, auto_toggle FROM $wpdb->linkcategories ORDER BY cat_id");
    < $results = $wpdb->get_results("SELECT cat_id, cat_name FROM $wpdb->categories ORDER BY cat_id");
    <
    ---
    > $results = $wpdb->get_results("SELECT cat_id, cat_name, auto_toggle FROM $wpdb->linkcategories ORDER BY cat_id");
    2589c2587
    < SELECT cat_id FROM $wpdb->categories
    ---
    > SELECT cat_id FROM $wpdb->linkcategories
    2592,2593d2589
    < //@CWT SELECT cat_id FROM $wpdb->linkcategories
    <
    2598c2594
    < INSERT INTO $wpdb->categories
    ---
    > INSERT INTO $wpdb->linkcategories
    2601c2597,2602
    < cat_name='$cat'
    ---
    > cat_name='$cat',
    > show_images='N',
    > show_description='N',
    > show_rating='N',
    > show_updated='N',

6. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Y, it looks nice, no errors.

It just doesn't work :(

Do let me know if you get yours to update!

Thanks. M.

7. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

So I added the optional rss-functions.php but it seems to clash with the original rss.php functionality. On the RSS feed widget I get:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare fetch_rss() (previously declared in /.../wp-includes/rss-functions.php:1019) in
    /.../wp-includes/rss.php on line 21

8. kaos
    Posted 17 years ago #

That should be a replacement. Instead of using rss.php, use the included rss-functions.php. Mine updates and works fine! Now to figure out site-wide tags....

9. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

I found that I also had to change wp-admin/index.php to use rss-functions.php instead of rss.php

I'm on RC4 here... Maybe 1.0 bundles rss-functions.php ... what are you using?

10. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

So I finally subscribed to an RSS feed! Fantastic.

Some notes:
    1) Create the category first
    2) Add the feed
    3) Very quickly go and change the feed to use the category.

Updating from the command line using 'php update-feeds' does not work.

I added something as a syndicated feed but it did not show on the Blogroll until I went back to the feed in Blogroll -> Manage Blogroll, edited and resaved it.

If you bulk import posts there does not seem to be any way to bulk delete or bulk recategorize (or add category to) the imported posts.

It creates a WPMU user authorised for the site for every remote user it takes posts from. Obvious but a little disconcerning! I note this can be changed.

I haven't been able to get sitewidefeed to subscribe to one of my own WPMU's feeds yet.

M.

11. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

M, any updates or progress with this? I must say it's a pretty nifty feauture I would love to implement especially now that I'm working on new themes and the rest of it.

Dr. Mike are you around/willing to divulge your secrets? :)

12. mrjcleaver
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi Suleiman,

Feedwordpress seems to work okay for me, but no time to push to the sitewidetags level yet.

Its one of those "collaborative effort" things - the more other people help the more I can feel that my time is well spent.

The tools (e.g. wpmudev) that support this project are pretty limiting. There's no good official way to share my changes with people. Oh, and no one else bothers with Codex so my interest there has waned. Not to criticise, but it actually looks to me that the powers-that-be are missing a trick in terms of getting the community to accelerate WPMU's development.

Regards, M.

13. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I can understand your dismay M, to be honest I've been feeling the same way as of late.

I think for support and troubleshooting issues this community is great, but for development of WPMU and core features (something I consider site wide tags to be), we're a little slow at the ropes.

14. boetter
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just to let everyone know that I am also very interested in seeing progress on this one. I am not a developer myself, but I would be interested in doing financial aid. Would it help if I put some money on the table to get this done?

15. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

I think I'll give this another week before seriously investigating the options.

Right now my sitewide feed is broken but I would love to have this feature to look forward to when it gets fixed

16. hairypalm
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, I've done all of this stuff... screwed it up a hundred different ways and now i think I'm close. BUT I'm getting a snoopy error when I click to syndicate a feed.

Fatal error: Cannot instantiate non-existent class: snoopy in /home/jaxaroo/public_html/wp-content/plugins/feedwordpress.php on line 2798

If anyone still reads this... can you do me a favor and give me a pointer or two. My mind is blown!

Thanks for everything so far. You guys are amazing. I feel like a complete moron trying to do this stuff.

17. hairypalm
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok, Happy New Year!

I got feedwordpress working on Mu and I feel like a rockstar. I'm gonnna try to write up some simple instructions for anyone else out there that wants to use it. I'm not going to bother with the sitewide feeds as of now... but hopefully this will get you guys a step or two closer if that's your intention.

I'll post again when I've got the directions uploaded somewhere.

18. mdvaldosta
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'd love to see this working, especially since we've been teased already with a working verison : )

19. dunrite67
    Posted 16 years ago #

any updates on this project? I would really like to use this.

20. RyanW
    Posted 16 years ago #

Using the instructions in this thread I was able to get feedwordpress working on wpmu-1.2.1, but when I duplicated it from my local wamp server to our hosted site (mediatemple), I ran into all kinds of problems with duplicate categories and errors when updating the feeds such as:

WordPress database error: [Illegal mix of collations (latin1_swedish_ci,IMPLICIT) and (utf8_general_ci,COERCIBLE)...

As soon as I removed the following lines from wp-config.php it began to work again:

define('DB_CHARSET', 'utf8');
    define('DB_COLLATE', '');

There is more info here about these lines here: http://codex.wordpress.org/User:MichaelH/Editing_wp-config.php

The problem, I believe, was with feedwordpress not liking my webhost's mysql version 4.1.11 and the above parameters together.

My question now: is it OK to remove those 2 lines from wp-config permanently or will there be other problems down the road because of it??

About this Topic