The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

bbPress (35 posts)

1. ergate
    Posted 17 years ago #

FYI: bbPress has officcially been released. and they now have a support forum. http://bbpress.org/forums/

2. selad
    Posted 17 years ago #

So what about bbPress and WPMU integration?

3. ergate
    Posted 17 years ago #

4. nexia
    Posted 17 years ago #

'til it integrate as a addon so each blog can have it, i will not look at bbPress as an interesting thing for WPMU... it can be for a support forum on the main WPMU blog, but others, nothing.

5. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

well i think that's what it's meant to be...

6. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

What's the user integration like on this version, anyone installed it yet? The devs seem to have done a fair bit of work on sharing WP users and cookies, I'd be interested to hear how it's going with Mu.

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Works fine for me but I'm using an older version. We've discussed it many times previously.

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm still trying to get it hooked up with MU while using two databases. Will let you know when I do.

9. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

I got no probs with the old version of bbpress but this release has had a huge lot of work done on it the last few weeks since the devs returned to active duty. Was just wondering if anyone had taken the plunge and especially if the cookies are working properly.

I've booked it into my todo list and I guess I'll see how it goes when I get around to it.

10. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

it works, and to save people the trouble (and countless hours) that I went through, I'm going to post my working (but of course editted) file: (mods tell me if u want it removed)

<?php

// ** MySQL settings ** //
    define('BBDB_NAME', 'bbpress_dbname'); // The name of the database
    define('BBDB_USER', 'bbpress_username'); // Your MySQL username
    define('BBDB_PASSWORD', 'password'); // ...and password
    define('BBDB_HOST', 'localhost'); // 99% chance you won't need to change this value

define('USER_BBDB_NAME', 'wpmu_db_name)'); //your WPMU DB name
    define('USER_BBDB_USER', 'wpmu_db_username'); // Your WPMU DB username
    define('USER_BBDB_PASSWORD', 'password'); // ...and password
    define('USER_BBDB_HOST', 'localhost');

// Change the prefix if you want to have multiple forums in a single database.
    $bb_table_prefix = 'bb_'; // Only letters, numbers and underscores please!

define('CUSTOM_USER_TABLE', 'wp_users');
    define('CUSTOM_USER_META_TABLE', 'wp_usermeta');

// If your bbPress URL is http://bbpress.example.com/forums/ , the examples would be correct.
    // Adjust the domain and path to suit your actual URL.
    // Just the domain name; no directories or path. There should be no trailing slash here.
    $bb->domain = 'http://hadithuna.com'; // Example: 'http://bbpress.example.com'
    // There should be both a leading and trailing slash here. '/' is fine if the site is in root.
    $bb->path = '/forums/'; // Example: '/forums/'

// What are you going to call me?
    $bb->name = 'Hadithuna Communnity Forums';

// This must be set before running the install script.
    $bb->admin_email = 'webmaster@hadithuna.com';

// Set to true if you want pretty permalinks.
    $bb->mod_rewrite = false;

// The number of topics that show on each page.
    $bb->page_topics = 30;

// A user can edit a post for this many minutes after submitting.
    $bb->edit_lock = 60;

// Your timezone offset. Example: -7 for Pacific Daylight Time.
    $bb->gmt_offset = 0;

// Change this to localize bbPress. A corresponding MO file for the
    // chosen language must be installed to bb-includes/languages.
    // For example, install de.mo to bb-includes/languages and set BBLANG to 'de'
    // to enable German language support.
    define('BBLANG', '');

$bb->usercookie = 'wordpressuser';
    $bb->passcookie = 'wordpresspass';
    $bb->cookiedomain = 'hadithuna.com'; // or .example.com if there was a . above
    $bb->cookiepath = '/';

// Your Akismet Key. You do not need a key to run bbPress, but if you want to take advantage
    // of Akismet's powerful spam blocking, you'll need one. You can get an Akismet key at
    // http://wordpress.com/api-keys/
    $bb->akismet_key = false;

// define('CUSTOM_USER_TABLE', 'wp_users');

// The rest is only useful if you are integrating bbPress with WordPress.
    // If you're not, just leave the rest as it is.

$bb->wp_table_prefix = false; // WordPress table prefix. Example: 'wp_';
    $bb->wp_home = false; // WordPress - Options->General: Blog address (URL) // No trailing slash
    $bb->wp_siteurl = false; // WordPress - Options->General: WordPress address (URL) // No trailing slash

/* Stop editing */

define('BBPATH', dirname(__FILE__) . '/' );
    require_once( BBPATH . 'bb-settings.php' );
    ?>

I have working user intergration and cookies. :)

11. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks suleiman, your work is highly appreciated. Works fine on first try. All i need to do now is to exclude the forums path from the wpmu-htaccess so it doesn't get parsed in error like it does now.

12. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Weird. I still get the same errors I've been getting all along. Must be something in my local setup, so I'm gonna have to bite the bullet and test it on my live site. *sigh*

13. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

lol...as crazy as this sounds I do all my testing live. I want to setup a local rig I do!

....but I just can't be asked really.

14. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Okay, *finally* I got it to work. Using your example above, for some reason, it wouldn't grab the second database. Clearing out some extra comments helped though, and then... it worked.

Now for some reason I am locked out of the admin area. :-/

15. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

hmm does anyone have an idea how to exclude the /forums/ directory from beeing processed by the WPMU rewrite rules? Otherwise bbpress won't play with rewriting.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

16. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I figured out my issue, doh. Just dropped bbpress db tables and reinstalled. It caught that I was an MU user already.

helmi - this will do it:

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} forums.yoursite.com
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !forums/
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ forums/$1 [L]

17. mozey
    Posted 17 years ago #

i cant wait to try this at home :P NICE!

18. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

hmm andrea. sorry not really. Now i don't get anymore 404's from WPMU when using bbpress with rewrite but i got sticked on the forums homepage.

just to be sure:

wpmu is installed on domain.com with subdomains. bbpress is on domain.com/forums/. Everything works fine without mod_rewrite disabled on bbpress (and enabled on WPMU).

And i also found out that bbpress doesn't bring a .htaccess? is this correct or did i miss it?

EDIT: WPMU doesn't work after adding the above lines from andrea to .htaccess (in root so in WPMU)

19. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

bbpress doesn't come with an htacces, no. I did read soemwhere that you may have to paste in your root one (the whole thing) to the bbpress folder.

Mine works now. :D I happy. Nevermind the cookies for everyone, I'll make y'all a huge turkey dinner, all the fixings, just like Mom used to make. ;) (you know, seeing as I'm Someone'S Mom and all...)

Lemme go check...

(hey you got tags working!)

20. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

(hey you got tags working!)

me? where? hm? *confused*

21. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

If I click on your name, it take me to a (presumeably) MU site with the word "tags" along the top, which goes to a sitewide tag page.

22. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

helmi do tell buddy! I wish i had nickles for every time a request for tags was made!

Be our community hero and divulge the secret. Please! (emphasis added)

23. helmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

hehe andrea and suleiman. Sorry to make you feel sad now, but that's nothing more than my private weblog on WP 2.0.4 (woohoh should have been upgraded already *g*) with UTW installed.

I wish i had tags on MU :( (apart from lots of other things :))

24. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

so sad! so very very sad!

25. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

wah!

26. Rubyducky
    Posted 17 years ago #

suleiman or anyone else,

I tried your code you posted above and it worked perfectly! However, now no one can access the forum admin cp, so is there a way to fix this? Thanks!

27. Rubyducky
    Posted 17 years ago #

Any help with this?

28. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's because bbPress doesn't recognize the WP admin accounts.

If you installed bbPress before you integrated, you can try this:

http://bbpress.org/forums/topic/185#post-909

Speaking of bbPress...

I'm working on a theme integration (along with everything else), and when I'm on my localhost, which I'm using subdirectories, MU is taking over my "forums" subdirectory when I go through the bbPress integration for it.

But, only when I add the call to MU's config file in bbPress' settings file.

Maybe I'm off it or something. :-\

OK, so I "could" just do this on the live site. But I'd prefer to have something working (theme integration) before sticking it on a live box, mainly in case someone gets lucky and runs across the site.

Has anyone ran into this yet?

29. quenting
    Posted 17 years ago #

what do you mean "mu is taking over" ?

30. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, I have the user table from MU integrated just fine. At that point, everything it operational and just ducky.

So, then I got curious and bounced around their forums looking at theming it.

Supposedly, you can pop a call in the bbpress config file to wp-blog-header, and then have at it with get_header, sidebar, etc.

However, as soon as that line is in the configuration file, it bounces me back to wp-signup.php, and tries to sign me up with the directory the forum is in as a username.

I tried all kinds of things. They either had no effect, or popped internal 500 errors.

It was very strange.

Granted, I'm just experimenting, and I can wrap my theme around bbpress in the header and footer and go from there, but some people who try this might like to be able to call their sidebar functions.

So, it seems that once the blog header is included, the htaccess file from the main directory takes over.

Also, as a note, you can turn on their permalinks in the config file without any additional htaccess in the directory where bbpress is.

So far, I've tried:

• adding the htaccess recommended over a bbpress (no change)
    • the htaccess generated by bb-admin/rewrite-rules.php (500 error)
    • a rewrite condition in the main (mu) htaccess file to ignore the forums directory (500 error)

As a note, this is on my localhost where my test install is set-up for subdirectories.

The base site is in a subdirectory(mu-test), which works ok, then bbpress is one level below that (forum).

I haven't tried this on my live box yet, which is a "proper" subdomain install, but it's on my list to check out.

Granted it isn't a "real" big deal, as bbpress and the user integration works just fine. I can hardcode my own sidebar, it isn't "that" special.

But, it might be something somebody else wants to try in the future.

It is something specific to MU, which is why I'm mentioning it here, because I did try it on a standalone 2.0.5 site, and it went off without a hitch.

As an aside, I did notice that after installing bbpress, I did have to visit the install file again with the following in the config file:

$bb->new_keymaster = 'my-mu-admin-name';

Once that was done, logins were fine.

Also, I put a redirect from bbpress' register.php to the main wp-signup.php, to avoid sign ups going through bbpress at all. Which kills the need for their synchronization plugin to add bbpress users to the wp users table.

I did add the bbpress plugin for displaying the users "displayed" name vice their login, and it worked just fine.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by ergate
  • Latest reply from BernieSteakouse