The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Spam Karma 2 for WPMU revision 810 and later (35 posts)

1. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've taken the modified plugin with all the changes that quenting suggested and rolled it all together into a new package.

1. Truly admin only settings changes
    2. User menus found in "comments", hence rev810 requirement
    3. email plugin removed
    4. NO logs, tables removed too
    5. tables created at blog creation time

I've been using this for a while now and it works great. Comment if anything strange happens :)

Remember all settings come from blog number 1, just for reference.

Spam Karma 2 for WPMU at wpmudev.org

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Cool dude.

Off hand, I haven't looked yet, but is there a hook available when a blog is deleted? Would be nice to have the individual SK2 tables removed as well for this.

If not, it wouldn't be 'too' difficult to modify the default mu-plugin to add a hook to it.

Would definitely be a 'plus' for some other plugins out there as well. (including one of my own.)

Hopefully I'll get a chance to dig into it in a bit.

3. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

function wpmu_delete_blog($blog_id, $drop = false)

can be found in wp-admin/admin-db.php and has a hook called 'delete_blog'

Should be a simple edit

But its late, so not for me now... but I can't help myself, so probably add these to wpmu-sk2.php

function sk2_delete_blog_delete_tables ($blog_id) {
    	global $wpdb;

$query = "DROP TABLE IF EXISTS '" . sk2_kSpamTable . "'";
    	$wpdb->query($query);
    }

add_action('delete_blog', 'sk2_delete_blog_delete_tables', 10);

4. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have not tested those functions though.

5. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

to whomever is responsible for this port:

Dr. Dave is looking for you --> http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Spam-Karma-2-for-WPMU/

(Scroll to the end)

6. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

This rocks. One Q - does it still ovverride comments on / off settings like th old version did?

7. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

If ol Doc's ticked, glad I got a copy of it this morning. :D

Then again, I guess it's possible he's curious about making it work in an MU environment? Maybe a security fix or something?

OK, "contact me ASAP" sounds more like the first. :-\

Then again, according to the SK2 page on the Doc's site:

"Spam Karma 2 is not GPL. It is copyright and all rights reserved. However, it is absolutely free for download, use and non-commercial redistribution. Anything else is subject to prior written permission by myself. If you contact me, chances are I’ll say yes to any reasonable request."

<-- Non-commercial redistribution -->

Maybe he isn't ticked then. Who knows.

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

anyone already done the upgrade? something special to do except delete the old one and replace with the new plugin?

any tables need deletion or modification? anything else?

do we still need andrea's autopurge plugin? I guess not as in 4. he states: NO logs, tables removed too...

9. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hmmm... am trying it out now with 882 and having no joy.

'Comments' is just producing this:

Can't fetch comments.Query: SELECT

posts_table
    post_title
    spam_table

spam_table
    id
    spam_id
    spam_table
    karma_cmts
    comments_table
    etc.

And leaving a comment produces even more painful errors.

It's in mu-plugins, just like it should be, any idea what could be going wrong?

10. mohamednazmi
    Posted 17 years ago #

Works great for me. Updated from another variant of Spam Karma 2 MU which came out not too long ago. I'm on WordPress MU 1.1.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Our auto-purge add-on doesn't purge the logs though - it purges the SPAM from the tables if no one has visited the backend menus.

I haven't tested this version so I dunno if you still need this or not.

12. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sweet - have got it to work.

I needed to install the older SK2 MU plugin first and then overwrite it with the new one.... either that or I was having a minor moment last night :)

13. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

A "moment" huh?

Alcohol + Code Fiddling = !Good Idea

Something to leave to the professional drinkers... er, I mean coders. :D

14. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

A few glasses of Aussie shiraz can sure put you in the mood for an upgrade... I need one of those things you have to blow into before you can log on ;)

15. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Wow. The door is wide open on that one. I'll refrain though, amazingly.

:-|

16. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nope, was not having a moment... if you haven't already installed the original SK2 for WPMU plugin then it doesn't work - you need to install the orig in mu-plugins, delete it and then install the new one.... kerazy.

17. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

The investigations continue... as far as I can tell this version of sk2 needs to be configured before it creates the appropriate tables - but of course admin is the only person that can do that now.

Or something like that.

There's definitely something not playing right... am I alone on this one?

18. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Here's my update on trying to get this to work with existing wpmu installs: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3563&replies=1

19. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 16 years ago #

UPDATE: This plugin was never GPL and wrongly released by me, it has been removed from wpmudev.org

20. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

I heard the developer of SK2 conmtacted you about this, so I'd be curious how things are left right now:

will he maybe modify his plugin to make it wpmu compatible? is he willing to incorporate your changes into his versions?

I mean I can understand that he does not want you to re-release his plugin, but sure he could accept coding changes you send him, right?

21. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hey PKS... you released it in good faith to help the community - your effort is totally appreciated.

It's a shame there isn't a good WPMU SK2 build out there anyway.

Having said that, we found it just too intrusive into the basic WP design to work for us - in the end simpler wins every time and SK2 is just too darn complex for our design or our users

Although it's a fantastic plugin for regular wp blogs, I personally have a lot of respect for drdave.

So just to let you know that releasing this was, IMO, a good thing, and I'm sorry you've had to remove it.

Cheers, James

22. quenting
    Posted 16 years ago #

didn't pks' version hide options from users, making it totally un-complex for users ? I had released my own changes to achieve that in this very forum as i recall, and it's definitely the only way this plugin can be acceptable for a non-IT community.

23. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep it did.

24. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Said it before, say it again.

Non-commercial redistribution.

Unless the toll fairy hopped onboard somewhere, I can't see the harm in this. Unless, DD wants to merge the changes into an MU specific version. If not, maybe I'll just have to find something else.

25. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

Alrighty, I was just made aware of this issue. Apparently when the project was removed from wpmudev, the file didn't get deleted. It most likely got restored when I restored a backup last week.

Seeing as how the author requested that SK2 be removed from wpmudev, I must take down the file. However, *it might take take me a day or so* to find the time to remove the file.

If someone were to download the file and host it elsewhere... well, I just couldn't stop that person could I ;)

Edit: I wouldn't even have a problem with someone creating a project that links to the file. As long as it's not on the wpmudev servers.

26. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

before pissing of the author, has anyone some reliable information about what actually happened?
    I'd be curious what DD had to say - I just can't imagine him the type of guy who completely blocks the port of SK2 for wpmu...

27. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I can't either, especially as it is licensed to allow non-commercial distribution, modification, etc.

28. pumpkinslayer
    Posted 16 years ago #

After seeing the comments from the author I tried to email him. Three times as far as I can remember. But no replies. So I removed it. I really don't know how much development is going on with that project.

The original changes that I made were to make all the options available to the admin only. These were all based on quenting's comments. Users were only given a "moderation" page and a "spam" page to keep things in order, the rest was done in the background.

I still use it on my blogs quite successfully.

But I'll probably change to something else when I have nothing better to do with my time, or an eighth (non-working) day gets thrown into the week. And thanks to those who have posted their own spam fighting kits. The best part about SK2 was that it did everything, which makes it "easy" to use.

The spam fighting kits are a great help for those who are not too techy.

29. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, PS, what I still don't get to this day, is why the page for it says that it's OK to modify and redistribute (without profit, non-corporate, etc.), but yet there was such a fit thrown over your minor edits for it to work for MU.

You didn't violate any of the terms it is licensed under, so I don't get it.

You didn't beat him up in high school or anything, did you? LOL

30. Iron
    Posted 16 years ago #

Spam Karma 2 is not GPL. It is copyright and all rights reserved. However, it is absolutely free for download, use and non-commercial redistribution. Anything else is subject to prior written permission by myself. If you contact me, chances are I’ll say yes to any reasonable request.

It doesn't include "modifying" ?

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by pumpkinslayer
  • Latest reply from jackiedobson