The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Unable to enable plugins (19 posts)

1. peacearena
    Posted 16 years ago #

When I try to enable plugins from the Admin Options page, my whole site disappears -- just a white page. This only happens on a site I'm setting up for a friend, my own site which I did first, works fine for plugins.

What did I do wrong?

2. mysorehead
    Posted 16 years ago #

There is probably a problem with one of the plugins - look in the error log or turn on errors.

3. peacearena
    Posted 16 years ago #

nothing in error log about it

4. peacearena
    Posted 16 years ago #

Where in the database is the plugin options controlled? I can't find it.

5. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

have you turned on php error reporting? A completely white page is a pretty good indication of a php code error somewhere.

6. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Going to have to test the plugins one at a time to see which one is causing the issue. Afriad we really can't help you on this one as it requries leg work on your part.

7. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am having the same problem, here is what happened. I had enabled a plugin, it worked fine, but then I turned the plugin menu off (i have no idea what I was thinking) when I try and turn the menu back on, it just loads forever. I too got the white screen thing, until I deleted that plugin.

Does anyone know where in the database these options are kept, I took a look at the code but was unable to find the right entry.

also does anyone know what table holds the data for which plugins are activated, I might need to flush that out.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

8. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok here is what I have so far, if you want to be able to use the plugins menu but can't get it enabled, you can do the following.

Open wp-admin/plugins.php and comment out this line at the top

if( $menu_perms[ 'plugins' ] != 1 )
    	return;

Then manually point your browser to site.tld/wp-admin/plugins.php

this will at least allow you to use the plugin screen. I am still hunting down exactly where the options are stored for this. I think it has something to do with $menu_perms which I am trying to find right now.

will check back in once I have found it.

9. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am getting closer: Found this in wp-admin/menu.php

if( $menu_perms[ 'plugins' ] == 1 )
    	$menu[30] = array(__('Plugins'), 'activate_plugins', 'plugins.php');

commenting out the if statement has the effect of enabling the plugins menu for everyone.

also found in the wp_sitemeta table in the database there is a field called Menu_items which seems to hold the entries for what menus are shown,

Here is where my knowledge seems a bit lacking, in menu.php it seems that they are building an array, and it would seem that the plugin menu is 30, what value would I need to put into the menu_items meta_value slot to enable plugins menu? 30? I am reluctant to just go adding and deleting things from the database so if anyone could help now that I have tracked down the problem to a much narrower scope that would be much appreciated.

10. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok so I still havent figured out why I can't use the check box to enable the plugin menu, but using the method above will enable it for all users, and if you just want to enable it for the admin account replace this,

if( $menu_perms[ 'plugins' ] == 1 )

with

if( is_site_admin() )

in wp-admin/menu.php

11. rpriel
    Posted 16 years ago #

I had the same problem with the plugin menu not loading when I tried to enable it - (after disabling)

Check your database tables... wp_sitemeta,was the culprit??? (If I remember correctly) A couple of fields will appear empty. Delete the empty fields and your plugin menu should reappear.

Don't forget to backup your database first :-)

12. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

I also tracked it to the wp_sitemeta, I would be most appreciated if you could tell me which empty field to get rid of.

13. Scytle
    Posted 16 years ago #

So I went and looked, and the only empty field was menu_items, deleted that and Roberts your uncle, Fannies your aunt back to enabling with the check box. Thank you so much rpiel!

in case you were all wondering this is what "should" be in that empty field

a:1:{s:7:"plugins";s:1:"1";}

14. nolageek
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have a TON of menu_items fields; probably 15+ for site_id 1 alone.

Delete them all?

Not sure if I'm having the same problem... but whenever I try to make any modifications to the options page and click on 'Update Options' I get prompted to download wpmu-edit.php instead of actually processing the changes. I downloaded both wpmu-edit.php and wpmu-options.php and they both look OK. I even tried uploaded a fresh copy of each. MU 1.2.5a here.

15. nolageek
    Posted 16 years ago #

I did the modification 'Scytle' mentioned and now I'm getting a blank page when I go to plugins.php. No errors in error log.

I removed ALL plugins (deleted the plugins/mu-plugins/etc.. directories) and still get the error.

16. nolageek
    Posted 16 years ago #

I backed up the DB and wend ahead and just deleted them all. That worked. Where are these rogue menu_items entries coming from, anyway?

17. victoriavain
    Posted 16 years ago #

I also disabled plugins once my site was ready and then I wanted to enable plugins again in the menu and I get this:

Dead page in explorer:

This is firfox:
    Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_ENDIF in /home/fitblogs/public_html/wp-content/themes/talian-10/404.php on line 11

I was reading where you guys were talking about deleting empty fields but then someone stated I could just add this:

a:1:{s:7:"plugins";s:1:"1";}

Can I just go to the wp_sitemeta page and in that big box put a:1:{s:7:"plugins";s:1:"1";}

and then hit go

would that fix it? If it messes things up can I just go in and delete what I put in there and no harm no foul?

Thanks

18. koi8r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Does anybody know whether those kind of errors were fixed and how. I am getting those kind of 404 errors on plugins.php file after activation of some plugins, now with google sitemap? Any idea please

19. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Can't help you without a lot more details and specifics. Considering there's about a dozen Google Sitemap plugins for Wordpress...

See the readme file and the debugging script linked to within it for help.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by peacearena
  • Latest reply from theapparatus