The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

1 2 3

WordPress MU 1.3 (73 posts)

1. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

Finally, after what seems like an age, the download page has been updated with the new WordPress MU 1.3 release.

This is a sync of WordPress 2.3.1 which includes native tagging support as well as many bug and security fixes.
    WordPress MU specific features include:
    1. Better admin controls for the signup page. It can be disabled in various way.
    2. Upload space functions have been fixed.
    3. The signup form is now hidden from search engines which will help avoid certain types of spamming.
    4. Profile page now allows you to select your primary blog.
    5. Database tables are now UTF-8 from the start.
    6. If you're using virtual hosts, the main blog doesn't live at /blog/ any more.
    7. The WordPress importer now assigns posts to other users on a blog.
    8. A taxonomy sync script is included in mu-plugins but commented out. It hasn't been tested much but if your site has many hundreds of blogs it might be worth spending some time on a test server. Replicate normal traffic patterns and see if the server can cope with the upgrade process. If not, then look at the sync script, uncomment it and iterate over all your blogs with a script.

Developers - get_blog_option() will never return the string "falsevalue" again. That bug has been squished and it now returns the boolean value false.

Thanks to:
    Everyone on the MU forums for your help in tracking down bugs.
    ktlee and momo360modena for all your patches. They're very welcome and a huge help.

Extensive documentation is being built up on the WordPress MU Codex by many people, including Martin Cleaver who bugged me about moving the docs from Trac and about telling everyone that documentation help is always needed.

2. bigsquaredot
    Posted 16 years ago #

Excellent timing. I'm just now getting into WordPress MU. Thanks to all of you guys for your great work!

3. Bike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks Donncha, for the hard work. Some questions:
    - I noticed that the XMLRPC disabling has been removed again, you mentioned it would be in a plugin instead. Are you making this plugin, or do you know that some others are working on it?
    - I am not sure what to make of your point (8) above: can we upgrade as normal (overwriting files and then run the regular update script) or should we uncomment and run the part mentioned?

Thanks in advance,
    Cheers, Bike

4. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

Bike - The XMLRPC disable code is safe, I'll be releasing it as a standalone WordPress MU plugin in a few days.

You can upgrade as normal, but the introduction of tagging creates 3 new tables for every blog, and populates them from your category tables. If you have lots of blogs that are frequently used then your server *might* possibly give up under the strain of doing the upgrade.
    It's unlikely to happen but I felt it better to warn people than let them wonder why their load average has spiked.

5. GIGALinux
    Posted 16 years ago #

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

You worked hard. I was impressed. :) blgged it here too:
    http://wpmututorials.com/news/wpmu-13-is-finally-out/

I'll see if I can whip up more documentation.

7. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Great release with some excellent improvements...thanks for all the hard work on this.

Steve

8. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

looks great. some questions, pardon if they've beenanswered and my google missed it:

1) for some reason my text editor is eating style tags, specifically the background-color tag. no errors in my log about it.

2) what would be the simplest way to implement sitewide tags without killing my server. any ideas would be appreciated.

3) i've noticed a drag on my admin dashboard. the stickler is i dont recall if it came before the upgrade or afterwards. how might i log my dashboard speeds?

thanks in advance if anyone can point me in the right direction on these issues.

9. LaSet
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks to all for great work!

10. tdh
    Posted 16 years ago #

Can't wait to try this one out. I ran WPMU for the first time a few days back, and was impressed by how easy it was. So I'll be using this version for a project. Thanks for the effort!

11. ferasof
    Posted 16 years ago #

Where can I put mo language file to get another language
    I have a language folder putting in includes folder but it doesn't work
    Where can I put them ?

12. ferasof
    Posted 16 years ago #

sorry i forget to say thanks to all

13. moorezilla
    Posted 16 years ago #

After upgrade, I'm getting the old slash before apostrophes. So Mr. Moore's Classes looks like Mr. Moore\'s Classes, etc. I see that there were some changes to backslash out apostrophes, but this is coming through on my display as well. Easy fix?

Thanks!

14. selad
    Posted 16 years ago #

There are some files in /wp-admin/includes/ that are marked as "testing use only!".

Is that still valid in the 1.3 release?

15. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

selad - which files? they're all fine.

moorezilla - where are you seeing the slash? I added ' characters to my blog title and tagline and they appeared in the blog ok without slashes. You probably need to stripslashes() the strings before printing them.

ferasof - put them in wp-content/languages/

demonicume - look at kses.php, and at http://ocaoimh.ie/2007/09/10/wordpress-mu-125/ for a function that uses filters to modify the arrays in kses.php

Not sure about sitewide tags tbh. There's something coming down the road ..

timing the Dashboard - see PHP's utime() or time() functions. It could be the new space usage calls if you have lots of small files in your upload directory.

16. moorezilla
    Posted 16 years ago #

Here's an example: http://chs.chelseaschools.com/sites/mooree/

In blog title and in blog footer.

Thanks!
    am

17. selad
    Posted 16 years ago #

For example admin-functions.php is marked at revision 1069 as "Merge with WP 2.3 - testing use only!"

18. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Nice, I will upgrade tommorow I guess.

Are there any extra steps I have to take from 1.2.4 to 1.3? Other then deleting the old plugins?

19. moorezilla
    Posted 16 years ago #

Backslash issue is weird. Some of the blogs had a \' added to the blog title, and some didn't. Taking the \ out of the title fixes it.

I think I also have some utf-8 issues to tackle now. Some of my blogs users now have some oddly rendered characters after upgrade.

20. theworkisdone
    Posted 16 years ago #

I still use a few categories. When editing an article I see the following DB-Errors in the logs.

WordPress database error: [Table 'example_db1.wp_6_categories' doesn't exist]\nUPDATE wp_6_categories SET cat_ID = '97' WHERE cat_ID = '621'\n, referer: http://faq.example.com/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=13
    [Wed Oct 31 15:30:14 2007] [error] [client xx.xxx.xxx.xxx] WordPress database error: [Table 'example_db1.wp_6_categories' doesn't exist]\nUPDATE wp_6_categories SET category_parent = '97' WHERE category_parent = '621'\n, referer: http://faq.example.com/wp-admin/post.php?action=edit&post=13

Running WPMU 1.3 as vhost, PHP 5.1.x, Apache 2.2.x. I just did an svn switch. I upgraded from 1.2.5a to 1.3 today via Site-Admin-Upgrade.
    No probs occured during upgrade. Great work though on wpmu 1.3

21. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

@work...

Just did a grep, and that query is in wp-includes/wpmu-fucntions.php.

I didn't open the file, but that's at least where the query is being called.

22. theworkisdone
    Posted 16 years ago #

@lunabyte: Sorry, of course. My fault. Somehow the last line from my copy&paste disappeared. The error occured in function global_terms() of wpmu-functions.php.

I DID NOT run the mu-plugins/upgradetaxonomy-thingy. I think it's obsolete, isn't it?

23. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

selad - there have been plenty of check-ins since and the files have proved to be reliable.
    That message means the files in question haven't been modified since I did the merge. In itself a good thing!

24. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'd really like to see a big push towards getting documentation built on the wiki. The competition is always going to be from the forum... it's too tempting to write content here.

I encourage everyone to liberally reuse content from the forum and paste it into Codex. Follow DOCS -> Codex from the menu above.

Thanks, M.

25. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

I encourage everyone to liberally reuse content from the forum and paste it into Codex

Let's always ask first before copying other people's works though. :)

26. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

woohoo for MU!

27. kolz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Help! Having issues after upgrading to 1.3

now getting this error

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: stripos() in /homepages/26/d147555821/htdocs/blogs/wp-includes/query.php on line 37

Anyone any thoughts?

28. kolz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Dork alert... FTP the files in the root directory may help... all better.

29. Iron
    Posted 16 years ago #

<meta name="generator" content="WordPress 2.3.1" /> <!-- leave this for stats please -->

Isn't WordPress Mu 1.3 ?

:)

30. honewatson
    Posted 16 years ago #

Bizarre. My upgrade when from a multi sub domain to folder setup.

1 2 3

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by donncha
  • Latest reply from lunabyte