The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Farms '100 big ones' theme pack (48 posts)

1. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

Heya Y'all,

Time for a new release and boy is this one a biggie.

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Farms-100-big-ones-theme-pack

First up, yep, you read it right... 100 themes, all widgetized, barrels of custom headers AND completely free to download in its latest form off WPMUDEV.ORG.... but, more importantly:

And here's the really big one... every theme now also allows you to serve ads, in exactly the same way wordpress.com does!

• Yep, we've uploaded to WPMUDEV Premium a customized version of Ozh's brilliant Who Sees Ads plugin (or you can customize it yourself from his release) and in each theme you'll see a bit of code that looks pretty much like this in a nicely positioned spot: ?php if (function_exists('wp_ozh_wsa')) { wp_ozh_wsa("336280nocolor"); } ?
    • All you have to do is create the unit 336280nocolor in WSA, give it some rules (for example, only show for search engine visitors but never for regular visitors, logged in users or those visiting from a link or a direct bookmark) and hey presto... you've got a dynamic ad serving engine.
    • You'll find about 50 different ad codes splashed around the themes with each one indicative of the size of ad that should be used and, for the more popular themes, specific to them.

Here's hoping you find it to your taste :) And there have been *a lot* of bugfixes to older packs so I'd encourage everyone who has used them to think about upgrading.

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Farms-100-big-ones-theme-pack

Lookin' forward to yer feedback!

Cheers, James

2. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

That's pretty awesome for you guys to go to the effort of doing this. Thanks.

3. enseignement
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hello Farms!!
    Excellent job ...
    Just a few questions :
    What do you mean by internationalization of all the themes ? You mean that they can be translated by generating a .po and creating a .mo file ? Or is it already (at least the creation of the .mo) done ?

Thanks for your help !

4. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Wow, thank you, thank you, thank you!

5. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Got them uploaded and working great Farms! Will report if anything comes up!

Trent

6. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just a quick question. During the development of my site I have installed the Farms spectagular theme pack. After reading this post, I have upgraded all of these themes.

I am about to add the 100 Big Ones theme pack also. In addition, I am about to subscribe to WPMU Dev Premium in order to use the Who Sees Ads plugin. In the description on WPMU Dev Premium, it is clear the the 100 Big Ones theme pack supports this customized plugin. My question is this...

...are there any plans to make the Farms spectagular themes support this WSA plugin? I am trying to figure out the best way to generate a revenue from my user blogs without forcing anything upon my users and this seems like a GREAT way to do it. I'm deciding on whether to even offer the Farms spectagular theme pack and just use the 100 Big Ones instead.

Thanks for any opinions or thoughts you may have on this.

7. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Ok, maybe all of that above should be scratched...I just opened the 100 Big Themes Pack and it appears it has the SAME THEMES.

After reading further I see that the original has the "this has been superseded by the 100 Big Ones Pack" disclaimer and link.

Silly me, sorry for the confusion!

<embarrassed>ME</embarrassed>

8. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

Heya,

No plans to update old theme packs I'm afraid.

Although you can do it yourself using the WPMU adapted WSA plugin.

There are actually quite a lot of important bug fixes in this pack (especially for those experiencing max_rewrite errors!) from the other packs.

There will also be a few folder name changes from very old packs.

So I'd encourage anyone using an older pack to replace it with this one.

9. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

Incidentally, and something I forgot to mention, you are going to *love* the customized versions of Mandigo, Ocenwide and Vertigo (we had them professionally reworked for WPMU with great big gorgeous custom header options).

10. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

By 'internationalization' I mean that they're all ready for you to apply your own .mo file in wp-content/languages/

11. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

Did I read somewhere about the possibility of removing footer links in the 100 Big Ones themes?

12. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

'Fraid that's still manual - although I've actually cleaned out a lot of spammy links, adsense code, analytics tracking stuff and general bumpf you don't want.

Although another (yep, another :) improvement is that ALL the themes now have wp-footer calls in them (which were previously missing from quite a few themes).

So, if you can fire up http://www.editplus.com/ do so and then look for the footer call in find in files, and you'll be able to easily batch edit all the themes.

13. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah, thanks for the footer calls Farms ;)

14. enseignement
    Posted 15 years ago #

Do you mean that we have to create a generic .mo file ?
    I mean, My mu is already translated in French, but it does not translate everything in the themes. How could I be sure that everything will be translated ?

Benjamin

15. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

I suggest you take a look at this: http://codex.wordpress.org/Translating_WordPress

16. SteveAgl
    Posted 15 years ago #

The pack is great but the themes I saw have text gettext but without a textdomain so the translation were taken from the WPMU languages file if exists... and not all it's translate, i saw some data and time not I18N and some little strings (to at) missed to be gettexted and there is any loadtextdomain directive in header.php and eventually wheren needed in functions.php

It's a great works but need some tweaks.

17. mysorehead
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks, looks great!
    Richard

18. awarner20
    Posted 15 years ago #

@ Farms,

Thanks for the clarification on the footer links, very appreciated!

19. firfurcio
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi, first of all i want to thank you for the great job :)
    I've been using the spectagular pack for a while, i've uploaded the 100 big ones over the spectagular pack and now vilaseka.apalankada.net shows nothing
    If i login as admin and click into presentation i can see this message:

Warning: array_keys() [function.array-keys]: The first argument should be an array in /var/www/vilaseka/wp-includes/theme.php on line 298

Warning: reset() [function.reset]: Passed variable is not an array or object in /var/www/vilaseka/wp-admin/themes.php on line 19

Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /var/www/vilaseka/wp-admin/themes.php on line 20

Warning: reset() [function.reset]: Passed variable is not an array or object in /var/www/vilaseka/wp-admin/themes.php on line 25

What i'm doing wrong?
    Thanks in advance.
    NeiL

PD: I apologize for my english

20. firfurcio
    Posted 15 years ago #

Solved, it was a perms issue. :P

21. Anonymous
    Unregistered
    Posted 15 years ago #

good works, thanks.

22. jschinker
    Posted 15 years ago #

James,

Just in case no one has thanked you in the last five minutes for all of the work you've done with wpmu for the education community, I'd like to take my turn.

Not only has your site made it easy for teachers to get blgs online quickly and easily, your willingness to share your work with the wpmu community makes it much easier for everyone to benefit from your successes.

Thanks for sharing your theme pack, and for all of the work you do.

23. firfurcio
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi again,
    I've generated,translated and uploaded my ca_ES.mo file to the 72class theme directory. The language file in my wp-includes/languages is ca_ES.mo too, and i have already set the ca_ES value in wp-config.php. And all of this means nothing because my 72class theme is still appearing in English, can anybody help me?
    I don't understand why my wpmu is ignoring my languange file and showing the theme in English. I've checked the file's perms,propietary and group and they are correct.
    Thanks in advance

24. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

@jschinker it's a pleasure, I sure get a lot more out of WPMU than I give back though :) Thank Donncha and Matt for hooking up in Ireland 3 years or so ago!

@firfurcio in all recent releases languages need to be in wp-content/languages/ and if you;re not using a recent release... you should be!

25. firfurcio
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi,
    I'm using wordpress MU 1.3.3, now i have the language file in wp-content/languages/ but nothing changes, wordpress-mu itself shows in my language but the theme still showing in English.
    I don't know what to do. Please help me :)
    Thank you Farms!

26. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

@Farms - thanks again for the the theme pack. I'm now half way through adding my own plugin code to all the themes. Along the way I've been fixing up some more bugs, do you want me to post some of the fixes here, or are you maintaining them yourself?

27. Farms
    Posted 15 years ago #

Glad you are feeling chilled ;)

If you'd like to post fixes here that would be great.

28. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

OK, so most of my fixes are to help incorporate my default adsense code into each theme (468x60) but there's a few other bugs that crop up. I'll list a couple now, and some more when I get the chance...

reaching-darkness - this requires heavy hacking to get the top-nav section correct. I replaced the top-nav.php file with the following:

<!-- BEGIN TOP-NAV.PHP -->
    <ul>
    <li<?php if (is_home()) { echo " class=\"current_page_item\""; } ?>>
    <a href="<?php bloginfo('url'); ?>" title="<?php _e('Home Page'); ?>"><span><?php _e('Home'); ?></span></a></li>
    <?php wp_list_pages('title_li=&sort_column=menu_order'); ?>
    </ul>
    <!-- END TOP-NAV.PHP -->

And then edited the following CSS:

#top-nav li {
    	float: left;
    	background: #617070 url(images/tab-left.gif) no-repeat left top;
    	margin: 0 2px;
    	padding: 0;
    	text-align: center;
    	}
    #top-nav a  {
    	float: left;
    	background: url(images/tab-right.gif) no-repeat right top;
    	padding: 3px 12px 3px 9px;
    	color: #AEA3A3;
    	font-weight: bold;
    	}
    #top-nav a:hover, #top-nav a:hover span {
    	color: #36393d;
    	cursor: pointer;
    	}
    #top-nav a:hover, #top-nav li.current_page_item  { color: #ffffff; background: #505454 url(images/tab-left.gif) no-repeat 0% -42px; }
    #top-nav a:hover span, #top-nav li.current_page_item a  { color: #ffffff; background: url(images/tab-right.gif) no-repeat 100% -42px; }

(lines 70-89)

frametheme - the bottom fake frame wasn't working in IE7 so I removed the position: fixed; from the p.credit CSS section. The top fake frames still work, but the bottom just looks like a normal footer.

29. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

twilight - closing </em> missing from footer.

30. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

waterlily-20 - There's an extra < on line 12 of single.php

About this Topic