The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Missing visual editor - SOLUTION! (8 posts)

1. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm posting this solution as its taken hours of fruitless web searching to work out what the problem was and how to fix it.

When you create a new sub domain site, always type the name in lowercase. If you use upper and lowercase, this alone can cause the visual editor toolbar (for posts and pages) to display incorrectly.

In short, I still saw the 'Visual' and 'HTML' tabs, but the buttons in the 'Visual' tab were simply the HTML buttons.

If its clearly that important, then perhaps Wordpress should automatically substitute uppercase characters to lowercase ones to avoid stupid users (errrmm, me!) from being able to make such a mistake.

Might submit that to Trac...

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Strange thing... Going to try :)

Update: tried to create blogs using capitals. Still using visual editor and everything is OK.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

mrarrorw - were you creating the blogs via the backend? Because we also found out today / yesterday, that the backend add blog doesn't strip down to lowercase like the signup page does. The problem we had was blogs like this has no working permalinks.

I'll add the ticket, as we tracked it down to the file and line numbers. Just confirm for me you added the blog via the backend.

4. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

Strange to see that bug pop back up:

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/86

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah, but this is when VHOST = No. :-/

6. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

andrea_r: no this was a blog created via 'Site Admin' > 'Admin' > 'Create a new blog' button. So the front end WP interface (but not via the signup page).

I'm running WPMU 2.6 (not 2.6.2 release yet) and MySQL 4.1.22-standard

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

"no this was a blog created via 'Site Admin' > 'Admin' > 'Create a new blog' button. So the front end WP interface (but not via the signup page)."

That IS the backend, not the front end. backend is the admin area, front end is the public-facing blog side.

So yes, you just verified what I said and actually agreed. :D

8. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

I interpreted the backend meaning via phpMyAdmin itself i.e. using MySQL. Misunderstanding of terminology!

Anyway, just pleased that the glitch has been recognised and hopefully resolved for future releases.

About this Topic