The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Multi-Site manager plugin to Domain mapping plugin switch (62 posts)

1. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

there's extensive instructions that go with it, but no hacking.

2. ulhaspa
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice and was hoping that you can guide me. Hope this is the right thread. If not, apologies and request you all to bear with a newbie WPMU fan.

We are a non-profit NGO in Nature and Wildlife trying to use WPMU. We are running school programs in India and have setup WPMU to provide each school with their own blog.

We have mainsite.com as the central place where each school will have their site as mainsite.com/xyzschool.

As we are using Mosso, wildcard domains are out. We also thought sub-folders may be way to go as all school blogs will talk about the same topics.

We have been able to successfully install LAMP, add WPMU and map the mainsite.com domain - thanks a lot for the efforts of everyone for this wonderful software!

I had a question, we also want our ngo.com site to use the same hosting infrastructure on Mosso, if possible and is without hassles. We have limited resources. I know that one requires at least a sub-domain to map the A-records.

• What will be the best way to do this?
    • Manually create subdomain.mainsite.com and map it to ngo.com?
    • If so, can we have the same WPMU install of mainsite.com to cater to this?
    • If not, should we just use a regular WP (not MU) for ngo.com and share the hosting resources? The only problem being the resources that will be consumed for this.

Both mainsite.com and ngo.com can be independent and not exchange any data.

Should we just look for a good shared hosting for hosting a regular WP site for ngo.com?

All help will be appreciated deeply.

Thanks in advance,
    Regards,
    Ulhas

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by cafespain
  • Latest reply from ulhaspa