The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

moving blog from subfolder related problems (8 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

hi there.
    this is strictly speaking not a wpmu problem but rather a general wordpress problem. still I hope I don't get bashed but rather helped :-)

I had a wp 2.6.3 blog in a subfolder and decided to move it to the root. moved the files, then used phpmyadmin to change all occurances of mydomain.com/wordpress into mydomain.com and also the relative path aka web6/web/wordpress into web6/web then checked .htaccess put the blog back online and now comes the problem:

as soon as I hit ANY page in the browser, CPU load goes to 80% even if it is only the back end. Put the blog into maintenance mode, deactivated all plugins except the maintenance plugin and still the same issues. Looks like there is some redirect taking place? Found this article talking about exactly the same issues while moving a blog from root to subfolder but the solution described does not help me: http://alexking.org/blog/2008/07/31/404s-and-wordpress-server-load

I see some other problems: all pages/categories work, except for the posts within the category pictures because it seems I also have a page with the slug pictures.
    I remember there is a problem when there is a category and page with the same permalink and permalinks are set to /%category%/%postname%/ Any links for me to read up? Even changing the permalink structure doesn't help :-(

2. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'd do Manage Export on existing install. Install fresh copy of Wordpress in the root with it's own DB. Then import and download image attachments. This lets you keep the hairs everytime, guaranteed. :P

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

thx, I'll consider.
    I never used import/export functions of wordpress, I just read about the export:

This format, which we call WordPress eXtended RSS or WXR, will contain your posts, pages, comments, custom fields, categories, and tags.

So I export, import into new DB and leave the files where they are and as the blog-url is the same, just a clean DB all links should work or is there more to this?

Besides: do you think its a wordpress issue? I even checked all internal redirects of wordpress with a plugin and tehre isn't a single one still pointing/involving the wordpress folder.

I tried following these how-tos but still no luck :-(
    - http://www.ericbrodeur.com/blog/2008/10/25/moving-a-wordpress-blog-to-another-folder/
    - http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/10/01/how-to-move-wordpress-blog-to-new-domain-or-location/

4. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

I ran into that issue a few times before with WPSU. I never bothered to find out why it happens.

The clean install is just as i described. The blog urls wouldn't be same as you said you're going from "/wordpress" to "/". The old site will need to be up and running for the download attachments to work.

I usually:
    -Install fresh copy of WP at / and in a new DB.
    -Configure the options on the new install. For example, you'll want to set your preferred image location before importing.
    -Go to old site > Manage > Export
    -Go to new site > Manage > Import > WXR
    -Tick download attachments
    -Assign authors
    and you should get an All Done message at the end.
    -Add your theme and plugins.

Wordpress kinda needs Windows XP treatment every now and again.

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

well, than this is definitely not an option as I made these changes... will consider other options.

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

do you think I can still try the export solution? basically the blog moved already to the root.... fully functional except for some tiny bits and extremely slow...

what about making an export, then moving all files and the database to a safe location setting up a new blog and importing? then copying over the files to their respective locations?

otherwise what else coudl I debug? Like I said .htaccess is good and also when I checked the itnernal redirects of wordpress I couldn't find a thing.

7. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

guys, any clues how I can export a blog from mysite.com then reimport it into a new blog set up at mysite.com? will leaving all uploaded files in the same place leave the blog functional?

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

k, I managed to export, then import into another fresh DB, BUT it imported all attachments and inserted them into the psots as 300px wide for medium sized (gallery) because my default settigns of 800px had not been imported :-( now I would have to go and manually edit all gallery posts!?

About this Topic