The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Cannot open individual posts, comments, after server move (9 posts)

1. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

I spoke too soon.

I cannot open individual posts after a move to a new server.

the message: "The requested URL /2008/12/16/temporary-open-thread/ was not found on this server."

This is happening on all member blogs, as well at at the top level blog at http://blogpeoria.com

2. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Check your htaccess file

3. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Sure thing ...

Ummm ... check it for what exactly? Not enough of a code guru to know what to look for.

4. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is it the same htacess from the old server ? For fancy perms to work you need to add rewrite rules.

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

The new server could be missing the Allow File Override option in htaccess. Without it, it won't read the htaccess file.

6. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks.

And some adviceon how to add re-write rules would be nice. I would have assumed I had those already.

And I will contact my server people and see is they can help with what andrea suggested.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Klark means check the htaccess you have on the new site with the one that was on the old. It may not have got moved since it was a hidden file.

8. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks, all is working now. Except all the images in the blogs.dir directory aren't working.

9. Klark0
    Posted 15 years ago #

Maybe it would be good to tell us what you did and how you moved the servers. That way we can probably tell you what else you need to do.

For the blogs.dir, check the permissions and ownership of the files. Try changing them to what they were on the old server. If the old server and new server have different cpanel account names, then you change where necessary.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by billdennis5
  • Latest reply from Klark0