The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

hostnames and google analytics (5 posts)

1. barnburn
    Posted 15 years ago #

I have a wordpress mu installation in the root folder.

I have many domain aliases that point to the main domain.

I need Google Analytics to track the host names. This works fine in standard Wordpress.

Example: main domain is xyz.com

I setup a domain alias abc.com that points to xyz.com.

Wordpress MU seems to rewrite the domain alias in a way that does not allow Google Analytics to track the individual domain aliases as host names.

Again, this seems to work fine in standard Wordpress.

I need to be able to track the type-in use of the domain names within Google Analytics.

2. pumpkinpatch
    Posted 15 years ago #

Not sure I understand what you mean, but if what you're looking for is Analytics to track subdomain traffic, it can be set/seen within Analytics itself:
    Visitors->Network Properties->Hostnames
    There is some setup required, but can't remember what it is (I did this a while back).

3. MrBrian
    Posted 15 years ago #

Theres google analytic solutions around the forum. I just checked my GA stats and hostnames appear fine.

4. barnburn
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks for the help. Let me try to be more clear. Not my strength!

I have fifty domain aliases that point to the main wordpress mu site.

The site is made up of only one blog currently. No subdomains or anything.

When a visitor reaches the site by "type-in traffic", Wordpress MU immediately converts the typed-in domain into the main domain name.

Google Analytics only shows the main domain. The type-in domain aliases don't show up under Google Analytics.

When using standard WP, the type-in traffic shows up under the typed-in domain name under google analytics:

visitors/network properties/hostnames

5. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

If each one of your aliased domains were mapped to a sub-blog, then you could track it like that.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by barnburn
  • Latest reply from andrea_r