The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WP multiple installations (8 posts)

1. Namesniper
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello Everyone,

MU support multi user/blog regsitration but recently i have seen a website which is offering blogs based on WP,i mean once the user is signing up he is getting usual WP,not MU and that way a user can install any WP plug in for his blog

Does anyone know if its a hack for WP or how else you can offer WP installation for multiple users ?

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

The site you are referring to has basically setup a script that install a new copy of wordpress everytime a user signs up. It's pretty much the same thing fantastico does when a user installs wp through cpanel.

3. Namesniper
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks andrew,i though there maybe a more simple(ready script) way to do that,but i am wondering what will happen if 1000 users regsiter and system setup 1000 mysql databases etc,it should place some significant load on server

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 17 years ago #

You wouldn't have to have a seperate db for every user. You could just use one db and have different table prefixes. User1_posts, users2_posts, etc.

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

There actually is a script but it's not GPL'ed nor is it for sale. Sorry. You have to run the script manually for an original install but it will do all of the upgrades for all of the recorded sites when it's time to do so.

It was written since Fantastico installs the non-secure version of PHPNuke and since there isn't any theme and plugin support for any of the packages that it installs. Our WP install is about 55 themes and 2 dozen plugins, some of them not GPL'ed.

It's run by the support tech, not the client and is done so upon request.

6. Namesniper
    Posted 17 years ago #

andrewbillits can you please tell me how could i use WP to make one db and have different table prefixes ?

The reason that i want tp use WP instead of MUWP is that only a very few WP plug ins would work with MUWP

drmike is there a chance to buy that script ?

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

The table prefixes are defined within the wp-config.php file. Just edit the wp-config.php file for each install, point it to the same database but give it a different prefix. In this case, to keep things straight, use the first and last intials of the user. When you run the install script, it will add the tables into the database but with the different prefix.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

8. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Actually, when I click on the signup link above, it strips the file extension and redirects to http://wiprogram.org/wpmu/wp-newblog/

That would be an htacces problem, no?

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Namesniper
  • Latest reply from andrea_r