The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Controlled Categories + Global Category Archive (6 posts)

1. abhic
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey Guys,
    I would like to do this in WPMU

1. Have a new blog created for every new member
    2. Each blog only have x number of categories (users cannot add/edit categories)
    3. Each blog starts with another default category besides Uncategorized
    4. Create an ‘Archive’ List such as the one in plain vanilla Wordpress with all the categories and blog posts from across the WPMU installation like a list_all_wpmu_blogs on steroids; e.g. Cat1 (49 Posts in 5 Blogs), Cat2 (65 Posts in 13 Blogs)…

Is there a way to do this? Thank you.

2. abhic
    Posted 15 years ago #

bump

3. nightlyfe
    Posted 14 years ago #

what did you find out?

4. DeannaS
    Posted 14 years ago #

Some of that is in plugins already - look at Buddy press for the new blog per member. Look at my new blog defaults plugin for setting the default category name. You'll probably have to write your own code for preventing them from creating new categories (which might be a difficult task, though I haven't looked into it). Look at sitewide tags and the 3 in 1 widget for displaying the site wide categories.

5. nightlyfe
    Posted 14 years ago #

I'm using the (your) new blog defaults plugin to set the default category (from Ungategorized).

I'm using the default categories plugin to copy a set of ~10 categories to all blogs.
    http://natureofmind.org/30/default-categories-for-new-blogs/
    (would be great if you could integrate this into your plugin!)

I'm using sitewide tags to pull in a copy of each new post, and then using the shared categories as a way to sort the content.
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/wordpress-mu-sitewide-tags/

I assume you mean this, for the '3 in 1':
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/tabbed-widgets/

===

Here is my issue, either all posts go to the main blog or all posts will go to a sub blog (/tags). If they go to the main blog, posts that might be uninteresting will pop up on the home page.. If I send posts to the sitewide tags blog, they are now a 'level deep' and in a separate blog (and not on the home page - but still "unintersting").

What I now need to find is a way to rate a post, or at least mark it as "homepage worthy" -- this ideally needs to be done BOTH at the (/tags) blog and at the original permalink location. Meaning, the post could be rated from anywhere, but the rating would be stored in/on the post.

I'm looking into the post indexer plugin as a way to do this..

I could then create a threshold list for the homepage that says rated 5 or higher..

Ideas?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Well, with your current setup, you could choose to show only specific categories on the home page - via a template change.

If you want people to actually *rate* posts, then you'll need a rating plugin AND you'll need to edit it for MU so you have a sitewide pool.

About this Topic