The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Subdomain Configuration Question (11 posts)

1. tripp_wp_mu
    Posted 13 years ago #

I tried searching for this but I'm not quite sure how to phrase it. Here's what I need to do. I want subdomain blogs but the top level domain is already a functioning site. Is there a way to install WP MU on a subdomain server (say blog.mydomain.com) but have it's subdomain blogs be blog1.mydomain.com, blog2.mydomain.com, etc?

2. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Nope.

3. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

There is actually but it would get you kicked off 99% of the hosts out there due to overloading the server.

4. tripp_wp_mu
    Posted 13 years ago #

we have our own, dedicated boxes. We aren't on shared machines. Can you elaborate?

5. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Which is why I just said nope. :) Because 99% of the people asking aren't in a position to support it.

The OP seems like it tho. Toss in some extra rewrite rules.

i know we discussed it in here somewhere.

6. tripp_wp_mu
    Posted 13 years ago #

thanks mate. I'll poke around and see what I can find.

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

Andrea's giving away our trade secrets. :)

Another method would be with the domain mapping plugin although that would require manual intervention of the site admin for each blog set up. I believe we have one person doing it that way.

The issue is it throws in yet another redirect for each and every page call. I know we have a small setup here that does a million hits every month, let along what an average larger host would be doing. Each one of those is yet another processor call, added to the one already occurring with the subdomain.

Word to the wise: Anyone who tries this on regular shared hosting will get their behind booted off of any decent or subpar (ie $2.95 a month) host. You're just asking for trouble.

Gotta admit that I would either build blog 1 into what your site is currently since it's there in root already or just get another domain and run it along side the first one.

edit: Man, I miss Firefox's spell checker. Poo on IE. :(

8. tripp_wp_mu
    Posted 13 years ago #

well, we're not allowing anonymous blog creation. We're going to set up the blogs via the admin. The main thing that I want is seperation of concerns... I don't really want these blogs running on our main webserver. I'd rather have them be they're own little island running on a complete different web box.

9. Klark0
    Posted 13 years ago #

Is the top level domain running Wordpress ? If so, then there's no reason why you shouldn't install MU at root, then make the top level domain the main MU blog.

If you want your signup page seperate then you just create a subblog called blogs or something.

10. tdjcbe
    Posted 13 years ago #

I'd rather have them be they're own little island running on a complete different web box.

I'd go for a second domain in that case. Plus if you can get it in a different Class C, you'ld get the SEO brownie points when you point back to the main domain.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hey, I'm not giving away anything, just pointing people who know how off in the right direction. :)

If you want to keep it separate, I'd also go for another similar domain or something like blogs.yourdomain/username/

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by tripp_wp_mu
  • Latest reply from andrea_r