The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Problems with WPMU on godaddy (6 posts)

1. parkcityxj
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hey, I've installed WPMU on Godaddy and have followed all the directions I've found online; Dedicated IP, Wildcard, Deluxe hosting, etc.. It appears that I've installed it as I can access the dashboard of WPMU. However when I try to visit the site or any link it takes me back to the install page where it asks for my database, username, etc. Any suggestions? I'm a newb here, thanks!!!

2. Limeboy11
    Posted 15 years ago #

You really shouldn't use godaddy for a host, there good with domains, but not with hosts.
    also if your just making your MU site for friends & stuff, just signup for a free account at 000Webhost.Com, & change your name servers, to point to them, thats what i do, and my site is working GREAT!

3. parkcityxj
    Posted 15 years ago #

Don't really have a choice to change from GoDaddy, it's for a friend who plans on adding Buddy Press as well. I know other people have successfully installed it on GoDaddy so, I gotta get this thing working.

4. gibcosta
    Posted 15 years ago #

i'm running mu, bbpress and buddypress on godaddy and have had no problems with subdomain setup at all (apart from my dreadful coding skils), i was surprised by all the negative comments about their service on here, i think they must have improved their service in the last year or so, im sure their support can help you with it

5. Katastimata
    Posted 14 years ago #

@gibcosta,

you better tell us how you did it ... setting up muwordpress on godady is a mess, despite their (only one) help page

6. wilecoyote
    Posted 14 years ago #

@parkcityxj,

I am running some wp and wpmu installs on a GD hosting account without any problems. The initial configuration, however, was a bit confusing. It has been quite a while since I did this, so forgive my 'old-timers'.

In your Domain Manager for the target domain, you should have the following:

ARecord @ {yourIP}
    ARecord * {yourIP}

Under Domain Management, you should create a sub-domain for each sub-domain you want. Point all sub-domains to the folder of the domain of your wpmu install.

In your .htaccess file, located in the folder of you wpmu install, make sure you have the following entries:

RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

...other wp stuff...

<IfModule mod_security.c>
    <Files async-upload.php>
    SecFilterEngine Off
    SecFilterScanPOST Off
    </Files>
    </IfModule>

In your primary hosting domain root folder, make sure you have the following in the php5.ini file:

upload_max_filesize = 8M /* or 12, 16, etc. */
    memory_limit = 64M /* or 128, etc. */

That's basically it for the GD config stuff.

You may want to remove/rename the wp config stuff to re-run the installer so that you can re-enter your db/site info.

Hope this helps.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by parkcityxj
  • Latest reply from wilecoyote