The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Install issue: "There doesn't seem to be a wp-config.php file." (42 posts)

1. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

You know, at this point I'm willing to take the time to go login and see if I can find anything.

2. sreeprashanth
    Posted 14 years ago #

Hi,

I was trying to install the Wordpress MU and i followed the steps given by Andrea_r and infosultan, thanks for your easy steps to install the WPMU, i got it installed on a addon domain of my shared hosting from Hostgator, during the installation i have opted for sub domain option and also have set the wild card sub domain to my add on domain using * . but i got a message saying

" Warning! Wildcard DNS may not be configured correctly!

To use the subdomain feature of WordPress MU you must have a wildcard entry in your dns. The installer attempted to contact a random hostname (85ad24.seowordpressblogs.co.cc) on your domain but failed. It returned this error message "

can i you tell me what is the problem

if i register a new blog i will get a email with a verification link which take me to a new blog address where it ask me for entering all the database details.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

That edit I got you to make so it wouldn't check for the config file? Take it out again. :) See if the blog shows up.

4. sreeprashanth
    Posted 14 years ago #

i have still not placed the config file in my root wp installation, the config file is not there.

the problem is the wpmu is unable to create sub domain for any new user, i have tried it my self to test after the fully installing the wpmu and only the main site is working

if possible, please check it at http://seowordpressblogs.co.cc

5. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

When I put in test.seowordpressblogs.co.cc, it should send me to the registration page if that blog doesn't exist.

yours send me to a blog called http://wpmu.seowordpressblogs.co.cc/.

Something is messed up on your end. It may need to be the primary doamin, and not an add-on domain.

6. wpmuguru
    Posted 14 years ago #

Most addon domain setups do not include/support wildcard subdomains. You may be able to get your host's support to add it for you.

7. tdjcbe
    Posted 14 years ago #

Just for reference, co.cc considers any use of a wpmu install to fall under their commercial usage clause and requires the $3 payment. One of my clients got nabbed by this.

Just an fyi.

8. sreeprashanth
    Posted 14 years ago #

thanks for looking at my wpmu blog setup Andrea_r, i think i will try your option first and then i will go to my host for support for this has wpmuguru has suggested, even before this i had a length chart with hostgator support but i did not get a way for them
    as regarding the co.cc domain i am using this for test purpose and if succeed with the full wpmu setup i am planning to use this for my own personal use.
    anyway thanks for your hint about the co.cc - tbjcbe

9. sreeprashanth
    Posted 14 years ago #

in my shared hosting i am having 5 domains along with my root domain, all the domains are running with wordpress, if i install wpmu to the root domain will i have to hide the wp-config.php in all the other domains to make this root wpmu work.

if i install can i transfer my other wordpress files to the wpmu subdomains, will it retain the same structure.

can i assign dot com domains to blogs created by wpmu.

10. andrea_r
    Posted 14 years ago #

Look ofr the doamin mapping plugins.

"if i install wpmu to the root domain will i have to hide the wp-config.php in all the other domains to make this root wpmu work."

No. It's only if MU is in a subfolder and WP is in the root.

11. sreeprashanth
    Posted 14 years ago #

thanks Andrea_r for this info

12. TruSktr
    Posted 14 years ago #

Awesome infosultan!

The problem is with a single line (ver 2.8.4):
    In the file wp-blog-header.php, this line searches for two possible wp-config.php files:

if ( !file_exists( dirname(__FILE__) . '/wp-config.php') && !file_exists( dirname( dirname(__FILE__) ) . '/wp-config.php')) {

The problem is fixed by changing this line to:

if ( !file_exists( dirname(__FILE__) . '/wp-config.php') ) {

BAM! Problem fixed!

About this Topic