The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Admin bar (23 posts)

1. amanzi
    Posted 15 years ago #

I'm just checking out the 2.7 trunk (r1626) and am pleased to see the inclusion of the Admin Bar. When you select the option to show the Admin Bar "on the site" is this supposed to mean the entire WPMU site, or just the individual blog? At the moment it just shows on the individual blog, but it would be nice to be able to show the bar across the whole site too.

Cheers - Stuart.

2. tdjcbe
    Posted 15 years ago #

What's strange is I was going to ask for an option to remove it completely as it interferes with the Admin bar we already have.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 15 years ago #

@tdjcbe: option is available in a new config file constant.

4. webmaestro
    Posted 15 years ago #

Is it me, or did anyone else notice that the links for sub items reflect the pre-2.7 links, resulting in errors like this:

Cannot load wpmu-blogs.php.

The pages added via plugins are OK, as is the 'edit.php?page=Plugins' link, but the others don't for me:

wpabar-leftside

/wp-admin/wpmu-admin.php => Site Admin (WORKS)
      /wp-admin/wpmu-admin.php?page=wpmu-admin.php => Admin (should be /wp-admin/wpmu-admin.php )
      /wp-admin/wpmu-admin.php?page=wpmu-blogs.php => Blogs (should be /wp-admin/wpmu-blogs.php )
      /wp-admin/wpmu-admin.php?page=wpmu-users.php => Users (should be /wp-admin/wpmu-users.php )
      /wp-admin/wpmu-admin.php?page=wpmu-themes.php => Themes (should be /wp-admin/wpmu-themes.php )
      /wp-admin/wpmu-admin.php?page=wpmu-options.php => Options (should be /wp-admin/wpmu-options.php )
      /wp-admin/wpmu-admin.php?page=wpmu-upgrade-site.php => Upgrade (should be /wp-admin/wpmu-upgrade-site.php )
      /wp-admin/wpmu-admin.php?page=Plugin%20Commander => Plugin Commander (WORKS)
      /wp-admin/wpmu-admin.php?page=wpsupercache => WP Super Cache (WORKS)
      /wp-admin/wpmu-admin.php?page=comments-setting => Comments Setting (WORKS)

/wp-admin/edit.php => Posts (WORKS)
      /wp-admin/edit.php?page=edit.php => Edit (should be /wp-admin/ )
      /wp-admin/edit.php?page=post-new.php => Add New (should be /wp-admin/ )
      /wp-admin/edit.php?page=edit-tags.php => Tags (should be /wp-admin/ )
      /wp-admin/edit.php?page=categories.php => Categories (should be /wp-admin/ )
      /wp-admin/edit.php?page=Plugins => Plugins (WORKS)
      /wp-admin/edit.php?page=democracy => Democracy Poll (WORKS)

/wp-admin/upload.php => Media (WORKS!!!)
      /wp-admin/upload.php?page=upload.php => Library (should be /wp-admin/upload.php)
      /wp-admin/upload.php?page=media-new.php => Add New (should be /wp-admin/media-new.php)
      (... links to MEDIA-related plugin pages likely work)

/wp-admin/link-manager.php => Links (WORKS!!!)
      /wp-admin/link-manager.php?page=link-manager.php => Edit (should be /wp-admin/link-manager.php)
      /wp-admin/link-manager.php?page=link-add.php => Add New (should be /wp-admin/link-add.php)
      /wp-admin/link-manager.php?page=edit-link-categories.php => Link Categories (should be /wp-admin/edit-link-categories.php)
      (... links to LINK-related management pages likely work)

/wp-admin/edit-pages.php => Pages (WORKS!!!)
      /wp-admin/edit-pages.php?page=edit-pages.php => Edit (should be /wp-admin/edit-pages.php)
      /wp-admin/edit-pages.php?page=page-new.php => Add New (should be /wp-admin/page-new.php)
      (... links to PAGE-related management pages likely work)

/wp-admin/edit-comments.php => Comments (WORKS!!!)
      /wp-admin/edit-comments.php?page=edit-comments.php => Comments (should be /wp-admin/edit-comments.php)
      (... links to COMMENT-related plugin pages likely work)

wpabar-rightside

/wp-admin/themes.php => Appearance (WORKS!!!)
      /wp-admin/themes.php?page=themes.php => Themes (should be /wp-admin/themes.php)
      /wp-admin/themes.php?page=widgets.php => Widgets (should be /wp-admin/widgets.php)
      (... links to APPEARANCE-related management pages likely work)

/wp-admin/plugins.php => Plugins (WORKS!!!)
      /wp-admin/plugins.php?page=plugins.php => Installed (should be /wp-admin/plugins.php)
      /wp-admin/plugins.php?page=plugin-install.php => Add New (should be /wp-admin/plugin-install.php)
      /wp-admin/plugins.php?page=akismet-key-config => Akismet Configuration (WORKS!!!)
      (... links to PLUGIN-related management pages likely work)

/wp-admin/users.php => Users (WORKS!!!)
      /wp-admin/users.php?page=users.php => Authors & Users (should be /wp-admin/users.php)
      /wp-admin/users.php?page=wpmu-options.php#addnewusers => Add New (should be /wp-admin/wpmu-options.php#addnewusers)
      /wp-admin/users.php?page=profile.php => Your Profile (should be /wp-admin/profile.php)
      (... links to USER-related management pages likely work)

/wp-admin/tools.php => Tools (WORKS!!!)
      /wp-admin/tools.php?page=tools.php => Tools (should be /wp-admin/tools.php)
      /wp-admin/tools.php?page=import.php => Import (should be /wp-admin/import.php)
      /wp-admin/tools.php?page=export.php => Export (should be /wp-admin/export.php)
      (... links to TOOLS-related management pages likely work)

/wp-admin/options-general.php => Settings (WORKS!!!)
      /wp-admin/options-general.php?page=options-general.php => General (should be /wp-admin/options-general.php)
      /wp-admin/options-general.php?page=options-writing.php => Writing (should be /wp-admin/options-writing.php)
      /wp-admin/options-general.php?page=options-reading.php => Reading (should be /wp-admin/options-reading.php)
      /wp-admin/options-general.php?page=options-discussion.php => Discussion (should be /wp-admin/options-discussion.php)
      /wp-admin/options-general.php?page=options-media.php => Media (should be /wp-admin/options-media.php)
      /wp-admin/options-general.php?page=options-privacy.php => Privacy (should be /wp-admin/options-privacy.php)
      /wp-admin/options-general.php?page=options-permalink.php => Permalinks (should be /wp-admin/options-permalink.php)
      /wp-admin/options-general.php?page=delete-blog => Delete Blog (should be /wp-admin/delete-blog)
      (... links to SETTINGS/OPTIONS-related management pages likely work)
      /wp-admin/options-general.php?page=wpsupercache => WP Super Cache (WORKS!!!)

/wp-login.php?action=logout&_wpnonce=ed79962ead => Log Out (WORKS!!!)
  5. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

guys, is this admin bar for the front end or for the backend?

I mean is it aimed to replace the backend admin drop down menu plugins or the front end admin bar plugin?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

It can be set for either or both.

7. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

:-) I only found the wp-config.php variable where I can enable it. where would I find further settings? can't seem to find anything !?

I set it to: //define( 'NOADMINBAR', 1 );

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

sorry :-( found the admin bar settings now *blush*

9. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

but the next question would be: it seems these settings are not global but per blog ... does that mean each blog owner can disable the admin bar on his front end?

10. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

k, tested, logged in as a user to check:

the admin bar is great but I'd like to be able to change its behavious globally, overriding the users prefs.

and I'd be curious if anyone has tested this with buddypress, I seem to remember buddypress having its own admin bar so I am wondering if these two are not interfering at all?

Besides that I have to find out where exactly I can change the admin bar - behaviour and style.

11. rvenable
    Posted 15 years ago #

To remove the Admin Bar, you can also try commenting out line 2110 of wpmu-functions.php:

//include( ABSPATH . WPINC . '/wordpress-admin-bar/wordpress-admin-bar.php' );

For myself, I have been using a modified version of the Admin Bar, and rather than modifying it in the wp-includes directory, I prefer to keep using my modified version in the plugins directory.

Just using the 'NOADMINBAR' define causes problems when trying to use WP Admin out of the plugins directory, because everything in wordpress-admin-bar.php is still included.

I think it would be better to have the define just not include wordpress-admin-bar.php at all, instead of just not adding the 'plugins_loaded' action, but oh well.

12. anabelle
    Posted 15 years ago #

How can I change settings Globally?

13. webmaestro
    Posted 15 years ago #

BTW, I thought I'd let you all know that the issue I mentioned above was resolved in the release version of WPMU 2.7.

Great work!

14. DragonFlyEye
    Posted 15 years ago #

It would be nice to be able to do two things:

1. Specify which menus to include in the bar. Right now, an overabundance of options is splitting the bar up between two lines and messing with the format badly.
    2. Configure options site-wide and override user preference.

Anybody know how to tweak this to make these things work? I'm looking at the code and apart from a rewrite of the plugin, I'm not seeing it.

15. DragonFlyEye
    Posted 15 years ago #

OK, I made a hacked version of the Admin Bar plugin that will make it a site-wide option, stored under the "Admin" section of the site. Nothing fancy, but it works.

http://holisticnetworking.net/plugins/2009/02/18/site-wide-admin-bar-for-wpmu/

16. Ovidiu
    Posted 15 years ago #

wow. will check later.
    I'd love this idea, i.e. I would like to make it back end ONLY, as on the frontend I've got something else...

17. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

DFE - why you keeping that blog a secret? ;)

18. DragonFlyEye
    Posted 15 years ago #

LOL, Andrea! No secrets, just lousy site promotion.

19. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yeah, we'll I'm outing ya. :P

20. copperblade
    Posted 15 years ago #

DFE - yes, yes, yes. The variable size of screen resolutions, and the variable nature of different translations of the admin area, make the menu bar a little bit of a problem. It's really really full.

21. seahawknationblog
    Posted 15 years ago #

Just get the Ozh admin bar plugin solves all problems!

22. sylentmode
    Posted 15 years ago #

There is a logic error in the admin bar for https usage

in
    wp-includes/wordpress-admin-bar/wordpress-admin-bar.php
    line 427
    is
    if( substr( $url, 0, 7 ) == 'http://' ) {
    should be, or at least do an or and check for https
    if( substr( $url, 0, 4 ) == 'http' ) {

23. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #