The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Migrate multi-blog b2evo -> WPmu (5 posts)

1. acidtrip
    Posted 15 years ago #

I am currently running my website using b2evolution and subdomains for each section. Each subdomain is another blog that's part of the larger site, with the frontpage being an aggregation of each separate blog. I've been kind of disappointed in the amount of plugins and amount of support you can find for b2evo compared to WP so I've been considering migrating the site over. I know I should probably use WPmu to keep the separate blogs, but I'm not sure what the best procedure would be to go about migrating the site to WP. I want to preferably keep all of content and I can deal with redesigning the plugins and such. Just can't lose any content or links. Any help for this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

I assume b2evolution has export functionality, doesn't it?
    But perhaps you'll have to re-create all blogs manually.

This might help - http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/CSV2BLOG-Bulk-Blog-Site-Creator-WPMU

3. slambert1971
    Posted 15 years ago #

If your existing blogs have an RSS Feed, WordPress has an import feature that imports posts from RSS. You would need to create all your own blogs manually in WPmu, then import the posts into each blog. You will need something like Donncha's Site Wide Tags plugin to make sure all the posts from the sub-blogs make it into the home page, but it does work great.

Note: I have never used the RSS import feature, but I know the import tools for Blogger and other WordPress files works well in WPmu.

4. acidtrip
    Posted 15 years ago #

@VentureMaker

It doesn't have exporting functionality unfortunately, maybe through a plugin it does but I haven't checked and don't recall seeing anything like that when I last checked.

@slambert1971

It does have RSS feeds, but I was hoping to try and keep all of the attached categories, tags, comments, etc and make it a smooth changeover.

I figured I'll probably have to try the scripts out there that'll import from b2evo to WP, but I'm not sure how well those work with multi-blog versions. I guess I'll have to give it a try. A lot of work ahead it looks like.

5. slambert1971
    Posted 15 years ago #

It will be a lot of work, but it will be worth it. WordPress MU is wonderful.

Yes, if you need to import categories and tags, the RSS import won't work. I am sure you can find something, but having never worked with b2evo I can't be much more help.

Good luck.

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by acidtrip
  • Latest reply from slambert1971