The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Effects of upgrading to 2.7 on localization (10 posts)

1. timmy77
    Posted 13 years ago #

Hi everyone

I want to upgrade from 2.6 to 2.7 but I'm afraid that that will cause problems with localization. I'm running 2.6 using the Arabic translation mo file.

Will I lose some translated strings when I replace the wp-admin & wp-includes folders with the 2.7 new ones?! … If so, then I will not upgrade, but will rather live happily with 2.6 despite the hardships I already go through (as a novice wpmu admin)!
    After all, what will happen if I don't upgrade?! ... Or do I have to?! ... Oh ... I don't know! I just own and administrate sites by accident!

I have been running a big blog engine site in Arabic using a crappy old unsupported version of “bloghoster”, and I cannot wait to redirect the sign up page to my new site using wpmu but I cannot do it right away until I’m done with many issues, especially localizing themes, and I certainly don’t need more delay.

2. timmy77
    Posted 13 years ago #

Can someone help me find the answer?!

3. VentureMaker
    Posted 13 years ago #

Will I lose some translated strings when I replace the wp-admin & wp-includes folders with the 2.7 new ones?!

Well, WPMU has a single language file that has pretty nothing to do with wp-admin & wp-includes.
    Or did you edit each file there to translate?

4. timmy77
    Posted 13 years ago #

"Or did you edit each file there to translate?"

I didn't.
    I used the Arabic mo file for wpmu and translated the strings that were left with no translation, using the pot file.
    But every string in the pot file refers to a certain line in a php file. Many of those files are in wp-admin folder .. right? And to upgrade to 2.7 I have to replace wp-admin folder with the new one..

So what I'm actually asking is:

If some lines' numbers are changed in 2.7 and I still use the 2.6 mo file, then those lines will not appear in the admin panel .. am I right?!

Wait a second :-0 The upgrade instructions didn't mention upgrading the english language file in the fist place!

So that means there will be no problem in localization?

Weird! I thought that with the many changesets, the order of some lines will consequently change.

I'd appreciate a clarification about this.

5. VentureMaker
    Posted 13 years ago #

OK, now I see what you're asking about :)
    Being all honest, I'm working on this issue as well. I'm in progress of upgrading many WPMUs (mostly belonging to my clients) to 2.7
    I've already done this for English language WPMUs, but I have several multi-language or non-English WPMUs.

As far as I get it - people will have to translate additional stuff.

6. selad
    Posted 13 years ago #

Go ahead and download the 2.7 pot file.

Use poEdit to update your po file from the pot file and translate the new\changed strings.

7. VentureMaker
    Posted 13 years ago #

Thanks, selad :) Just meant to ask where to get 2.7's pot.

Why not add a feature like 'karma' for users on this forum? ;)

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 13 years ago #

so we are advised to grab the new pot files and stop using the old ones, right?

9. timmy77
    Posted 13 years ago #

If that's the case, then maybe it is better for me to stick to 2.6.5 for the time being. Working with templates is sucking up all of my time, and I can forsee - from many posts about the latest version - that I could be facing many problems if I upgrade.

Anyway, your answers and Ovidiu's question make me wonder why the issue of using the new language file is not instructed or at least recommended in the upgrade instructions here:
    http://codex.wordpress.org/Upgrading_WPMU
    ?!

Many Thanks

10. andrea_r
    Posted 13 years ago #

The codex can be edited by anyone. Including you guys. If you see information that needs to be added or changed, then please do so.

It's voluntary documentation.

About this Topic

• Started 13 years ago by timmy77
  • Latest reply from andrea_r