The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

The End of Port 80? (3 posts)

1. doorQdotCom
    Posted 15 years ago #

I know that the use of Port 80 for installs of WPMU is hard-coded into the program. Using anything other than that port causes epic fails

I've searched various archives, here and other places, to see if anyone ever created a workaround for this, but didn't have any luck.

Since Automatic had no plans to change this, does anyone know of a fix?

2. Trent
    Posted 15 years ago #

You want the entire site run on another port? You can run the admin on SSL if that is what you mean right now without any issue using a plugin. What are you trying to do if you don't mind me asking?

Trent

3. doorQdotCom
    Posted 15 years ago #

Trent, If I leave out a detail along the way it's because I'm not a tech guru. I follow along as best I can though...

My tech guy and I are in the process of setting up a Word Press / Buddy Press installation, and want to do some implementation and testing on it before we role it out.

We already have one, non WP, site site / ip / firewall configuration running on that server thru port 80. Server is IIS.

We tried installing WPMU to use port 8080 and it crapped out. Before we knew all the ins and outs, my tech guy then tried to utilize Apache to get WPMU running through 8080, which caused a whole 'nother set of headaches before we got things back to normal. Still no WP though.

After all that, we did ye old Google search and found that WP is hard-coded to run on 80. There were several threads across the net of people who tried to do a work around, but none of those threads ever had a real, definitive answer on them.

I'm taking it you might know of one?

About this Topic

• Started 15 years ago by doorQdotCom
  • Latest reply from doorQdotCom