The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrade from 2.6.3 to 2.7 (7 posts)

1. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

2. tanvir
    Posted 15 years ago #

nope...

The instruction at codex is just fine. Try yourself then if you stuck somewhere then knock here.

3. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well I would beg to differ that those instructions are 'just fine'.

For instance, deleting all the files in the www directory is great as long as that directory doesn't also contain other non-related Wordpress stuff that needs to be KEPT. A dangerous instruction!

Also, it needs to be emphasised not only when files need to be deleted, but also that directories need to be kept (like it or not, the two terms are often interchangable and can be overlooked by some).

Also the example commands make assumptions about how your particular directory structure is set up. Fine for people who know this and can substitute accordingly, but these examples aren't intended for those types of user are they!

Hence I was after some clarification not only for myself but for other users to refer to as another point of reference (as I think the instructions in my first post are actually correct, but phrased differently).

Unfortunately I'm not prepared to 'knock here' when I've done the upgrade and its messed up.

So confirmation from someone else would be very useful...

4. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

mrarrow - yes, the steps in the first post are fine.

The directions recommend to delete old files because overwriting with new ones can be unreliable, and if there are files that have been dropped, they don't get removed by a simple overwrite.

Secondly - and this is important - if you find the instructions need clarifying, log in to the codex and fix them. The codex is community-written and can be contributed by ALL.

5. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

Thanks andrea_r for the more helpful reply ;-)

I do also appreciate the Codex instructions are community-written, but I didn't want to edit anything on there without checking first. Also, I thought it would be useful to have instructions on here too (even though I forgot to close off the href tag - can an admin amend that?!?). There seems to be a distinct lack of noddy steps for such an upgrade.

By the way is it OK to jump from 2.6.3 to 2.7?

6. andrea_r
    Posted 15 years ago #

Yes to your last one. It's a tiny jump.

Well, other than the admin area redesign...

(all I can think of is Noddy & Big Ears now.)

7. mrarrow
    Posted 15 years ago #

Well andrea_r, I will leave you to your thoughts....!

About this Topic