The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Upgrading (10 posts)

1. jerad
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have an old version of Wordpress MU that I have been running since last year. Lately it has received a ton of spam and I want to upgrade to the newest version but I am afraid of killing what is already there. Its not easy because of the modrewrite function to just install it in another directory, point the database to it and test it. Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it as smart as the standard single user wordpress that updates the database upon first login to the admin screen?

2. jerad
    Posted 17 years ago #

This is the most recent line from the changelog of the version I am using.

r403 | donncha | 2005-10-14 16:51:02 +0100 (Fri, 14 Oct 2005) | 2 lines

3. jerad
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok well I went ahead and overwrote all the source files leaving my wp-content/blog.dir there and I get a 500 redirect error. I can not get around the 500 error no matter what. WHat did I do wrong?

4. jerad
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok I got it to work, it reset all themes to generic install theme for all 375 users. Here is the problem now. I can not access the admin portion of wordpressmu I can log into my admin account which is account I created when first setting up wordpressmu but it will not show the extra admin options that usually show up. Any ideas?

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I would open up your MySQL database and take a look at wp_sitemeta.admin_user_id and make sure that it's set to the id number of your admin account. That's really the only place I see it used.

After logging in once you get admin status, make sure you run the upgrade script. I'm hoping that that will take care of your theme selections. (Might not though.)

6. jerad
    Posted 17 years ago #

I was able to run the database upgrade already by calling the file directly. I had to rename my .htaccess file first then after the update I set it back. That is when things started working for the most part. My user name id, which is 1, is set to admin, I checked that earlier because I thought maybe I was using the wrong login. Any other suggestions?
    Thanks.
    jerad

7. jerad
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am also getting this error whenever I try to access a blog other then on the index page of the users blog. Clicking on the link to view the blog on a single page gives me the same error also.

Fatal Error
    Could Not Find Blog!
    Searched for blog4jesus.org/2006/ in blog4j_blogmu::wp_blogs table. Is that right?
    Please check that your database contains the following tables:

* wp_blogs
    * wp_users
    * wp_usermeta
    * wp_site
    * wp_sitemeta
    * wp_sitecategories

If you suspect a problem please report it to support forums!

8. jerad
    Posted 17 years ago #

http://blog4jesus.org is the domain. I can access all of the users blog sites and the database is in tact. I have attempted restoring the database to its state before the update and rerunning the update.

9. mspecht
    Posted 17 years ago #

How did you go on your upgrade, is everything back up and running? I am thinking of doing the same but as you said a little afraid.

10. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

To reach that error, one of three things needs to occur.

- The blog can't be found. Also happens during signup if you try to visit the blog before its activated.

- A file that it is looking for is missing

- A directory is missing.

What were you trying to do before you got that error?

About this Topic